11 thoughts on “HOMEWORK 32.B - SP 24”

1. Also remember that we need to account for each pad (top and bottom) so we need to take P and divide by 2 before calculating shear stress (so 250N instead of 500N)

1. Make sure to account for each of the rubber plates as I initially made the mistake of only solving for the torque of one with respect to the force and had to re-do some of the work.

2. One thing that I made an error on is the area value. MAybe write it down next to the free body diagram because not all of it is in contact between the plate and the load.

1. Just checking with you all, the cross sectional area we use here is not the cross section shown, and is instead the x-dimension length multiplied by the z-dimension length, right?

2. I was able to start the problem with A=b x T to get the area and P/2 to get P in each pad. Then I divide the pressure by the area to get the average stress on the pads. If that helps

3. I would start this problem by calculating the shear stress T= P/A and making sure that I divided the pressure by two to account for the top and bottom pad.