15 thoughts on “HOMEWORK 26.B - SP 24”

1. As the wording of the problem asked us to ignore it I believe it's irrelevant and is probably something that could be used in future problems instead.

1. The mass of the socket wrench is negligible in the problem. This is different from other problems as those ones will include the mass or weight to add complexity.

1. I am kind of confused the question. I just solved the problem with all the reaction forces and moment at B by treating only wrench BD. The bottom line was I came up with (Mb)x = sth, (Mb)y = sth, (Mb)z = sth. Am I on the right track?

1. I believe you have to take into account the entire side of the wrench to the right of B (so the portion from B to D and the portion from D to C), otherwise you would have some unknown internal reactions at D.

2. Should we be provided with length of OB? From my understanding, if we want to find the bending moment at B, we need to use the sum of moment at B. This requires the length of OB. Please correct me if I am wrong!

1. When you section the wrench at B to find the internal reactions, you could use the section to the left of B to find the internal reactions, in which case you would need the distance OB to sum the moments. However, if you instead sum the moments from the section to the right side of B, you don't need the distance OB.

3. To do this problem don't consider what is left of point B. Consider the reaction and moments at point B. To sum the moments and reactions at B separately, Use the position vector of the force crossed with the magnitude and direction of the force to determine the moment vector.