Commencement Attire

Cap, Gown and Hood Rental

Dear May 2020 graduates,

Sadly, May 2020 commencement as we’ve known it is not happening for you. We are incredibly disappointed as we so look forward to this event each semester. It won’t be the same, but we are working incredibly hard to dream up an amazing virtual event for you and your families.

However, we also are aware that many of you may still want photos in your cap and gown for memories. So before you decide to cancel your order for cap and gown, give yourself and us time to let the dust settle a bit and consider renting your cap and gown for photos or our virtual experience.

We do not yet know what our virtual event will look like, but you will be looped in as soon as possible. We’ve worked with Herff Jones on delaying the decision for rental and/or a full refund until April 22.

Also note, Herff Jones are such amazing partners that they are absorbing the cost of shipping the attire to and from the address you provide. This also eliminates the potential for crowds in the bookstore for pick up.

We regret another blow to an already crazy couple of weeks. But we all know the Boilermaker spirit is alive and well and we will come out on top.

Information about attire rental costs and about the various packages that allow graduates to order announcements and other items along with their rental attire may be found by clicking here

Accessory items, such as caps, tassels, and stoles, can be ordered from Herff Jones by completing this form.

A complete list of the correct hood and tassel colors can be found on the Hood and Tassel Web page.

Honor Cords

University honor cords will be distributed with your program and diploma cover if you met the GPA cutoff with your Fall 2019 GPA.  Any who earn honor cords as a result of Spring 2020 grades will receive them in the mail as soon as possible after the end of the spring term. Click here for GPA standards.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the Office of the Registrar at