Your Name
Friend's Email Address

Qualifying for Resident Tuition Status

How can I become an instate student for tuition purposes?  There are two alternative ways to qualify for resident status (see below).  Both rely on three important concepts: emancipation, domicile and predominant purpose.  These terms have specific legal definitions that cannot be defined fully in this brief description.  In general, however, emancipation refers to financial independence from your parents or guardians; domicile refers to the permanent home where you reside; and predominant purpose refers to what you do with your time while living here (e.g., work full-time, go to school, etc.).

  1. You are an unemancipated student (financially dependent) and your parent or guardian establishes a domicile in Indiana prior to the first day of the academic session for which resident classification is sought.  The move to Indiana must be predominantly for reasons other than to enable you to gain resident status for tuition purposes (such as moving because of a job transfer).
  2. You are an emancipated student (financially independent) and have been domiciled in Indiana for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the academic session for which resident classification is sought.  Your domicile must be established for a predominant purpose other than attending an institution of higher education.

For a copy of university policy pertaining to "Residence Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes," please refer to University Regulations.  An online version is available by clicking on Residence Policy.  

To download a copy of the residency application for instate classification, along with a detailed instruction sheet, click on Residency Form.

Mail the signed and completed application, along with the requested documentation, to one of the following addresses based upon your campus location and student status:

West Lafayette Students:

Ft Wayne Students:

Calumet Students:

North Central Students:

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar

Purdue University

2101 Coliseum Blvd.

2200 169th Street

1401 South U.S. 421

610 Purdue Mall

East Kettler Hall

Lawshe Hall

40 Schwarz Hall

West Lafayette, IN

Fort Wayne, IN  46805

Hammond, IN  46323 

Westville, IN  46391


(260) 481-6815


(219) 785-5459

(765) 494-6165



1-800-872-1231 ext.5459



Other Links:

Feedback | E-mail Webmaster
Maintained by: Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-8581, Fax: (765) 494-0570, E-mail:
© 2008 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact the Office of the Registrar at