Classification Definitions and Policies Regarding Clerical and Service Staff Members (VPBS 66)
OFFICE OF THE BUSINESS MANAGER AND ASSISTANT TREASURER
WEST LAFAYETTE, INDIANA 47907
December 1, 1960
To: Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments and Offices
Re: BUSINESS OFFICE MEMORANDUM NO. 66
In order to standardize classifications, staff benefits and payroll procedures the following definitions and procedures are established.
- Classification Definitions
Clerical and Service Staff members shall be classified in accordance with the following definitions, effective 1 January 1961.
- Regular Employee - One who is employed on a continuous basis throughout the year in a capacity that requires an average of at least one-half time which should be not less than twenty hours per week. Those employees who are in this category but are subject to seasonal layoffs of a short duration shall still be considered as "Regular Employees. "
- Temporary Employee - One who is employed for a limited period of time during the year, or whose employment is intermittent, irregular, casual or seasonal, and which may be either full time or part time during the period employed. All student employees shall be considered as "Temporary Employees.
- Staff Benefits - See Attached Changes in Benefits
Staff benefits for Clerical and Service Staff members shall be consistent with like classifications, effective 1 January 1961.
- All "Regular" Clerical and Service Staff members shall be eligible (subject to the eligibility requirements of individual staff benefit plans) for paid vacations, paid sick leave, paid holidays, participation in the group medical, life insurance and retirement plans and such other staff benefits as do accrue to all employees of like classification.
- "Temporary" Clerical and Service Staff members may be required to participate in the Public Employees Retirement Fund and Social Security. They will not be eligible for any other staff benefits.
- Additional information on specific staff benefits may be found in the Fringe Benefits Section of the Manual of Business Procedure.
- Standardization of Pay Periods and Pay Rates, Effective 1 July 1961
All Clerical and Service Staff members shall be paid every two weeks with an interval of not more than ten days between the end of the period and pay day. The bi-weekly pay period will include two full workweeks. Time and pay may be computed on an hourly, daily or weekly basis.
L. J. Freehafer
Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer