Academic advising is essential to student success at Purdue University. The central goal for the academic advising relationship is to assist students in the purposeful creation of an educational plan that includes curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular goals, objectives, and activities.
Role of an Academic Advisor
Academic advising is more than a course selection/registration task. Academic advising is an essential component of each student's academic experience. Some of the specific responsibilities of academic advisors include but are not limited to:
- Assisting students with identifying academic goals that are consistent with their capabilities, interests and educational background
- Helping students define and develop their educational plans
- Clarifying academic policies, regulations, program requirements, procedures and other pertinent information
- Informing students of their roles and responsibilities
- Being knowledgeable about campus and community resources, and how to appropriately refer students to these resources
- Supporting academic success, and assisting students with their monitoring of their progress toward achieving their goals
What Students Should Expect of their Academic Advisor
Students have a right to expect their advisor to:
- Be knowledgeable about program requirements, curriculum, and professional/career opportunities within their field
- Be knowledgeable about best practices to ensure academic success
- Seek out information that they may not know or refer students accordingly to the appropriate resources
What an Academic Advisor Expects of each Student
Students have a responsibility to:
- Read and understand all University policies and procedures
- Consult with advisors regularly regarding courses, academic successes, challenges, and difficulties, career exploration and career development
- Maintain scheduled appointments, and be prepared for appointments with appropriate documentation and materials
- Utilize the tools provided by the university to monitor progress towards degree completion and document course plans for subsequent semesters.
When to See an Academic Advisor
Each student is responsible for ensuring that their academic advisor is well informed about their successes and challenges at Purdue. It is crucial for students to share essential information about their interests, goals, challenges, academic progress and future career plans so that their academic advisor can assist them in the best possible manner. All students are required to meet with their academic advisor prior to each registration period. However, it is also important for students to contact their academic advisor whenever they are facing a challenge that affects their success; to discuss student involvement, internships, career preparation; and/or to apprise their academic advisor of their successes and progress toward their educational goals.
How to Meet with Your Academic Advisor
Schedule an Appointment
Students are required to schedule an appointment with their Academic Advisor prior to registration for each semester. Students are strongly encouraged to schedule additional appointments with their Academic Advisors on a regular basis. Students can schedule an appointment to see their designated Academic Advisor by utilizing the appointment system in Boiler Connect at https://purdue.campus.eab.com.
To use the BoilerConnect appointment scheduler, you can download the instructions for future reference. A web-accessible version of these instructions is also available.
Many academic advisors also have blocks of time scheduled for Walk-in hours. Walk-in hours are designed for a brief (5-10 minutes or less) meeting.