Bison Pasta Casserole
A great party pleaser that only requires a half pound of ground bison, and it can be made a day ahead.
Serves 6 adults.
- 8 ounces ground bison
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 6 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Put olive oil in small saucepan. Over medium heat, cook ground bison stirring until well done. In a medium size bowl combine cooked bison with pasta sauce.
- To a large pot containing 5 to 6 quarts boiling water add the salt and rigatoni pasta. Cook for 12 minutes in boiling water, stirring often. Drain completely. Cooked pasta should still be relatively firm at this stage.
- Spread a very thin layer of meat sauce in the bottom of a greased 12-cup casserole dish (13x9x2). Cover with one third of the cooked pasta, one third of the remaining meat sauce, and a third of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with shredded Mozzarella cheese. (Can be refrigerated for a day at this stage if so desired.)
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes covered, then 10-15 minutes uncovered. Note: if casserole has been refrigerated, then remove to room temperature for 1 hour before baking. Serve with tossed green salad and garlic bread.