Asparagus Cream Soup
Yield: 6 to 8 side dish servings
- 2, 15-ounce cans asparagus spears or two 10-ounce packages frozen asparagus spears thawed
- 3 cups milk or light cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots or onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Slightly beaten egg yolks
- Drain canned asparagus; cut tips off canned or frozen asparagus spears and set aside.
- In a blender container combine asparagus stalks and milk, cover and blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan, cook shallots or onion in hot butter or margarine till tender but not brown.
- Stir flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the butter and onion mix.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Slowly stir about half of the hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Return all to pan. Stir in reserved asparagus tips.
- Cook and slowly stir over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes