- 1 bag corn husks
- 4 cups hot broth, chicken or beef
- 1 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 7 cups instant corn masa mix
*salt and pepper to taste
*choose your favorite holiday filling
- Soak corn husks in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and place in bowl.
- Combine broth, oil, and baking powder with masa mix in electric mixer bowl. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken; add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine filling ingredients in bowl. Set aside.
- Assembly: Spread 2 to 3 Tablespoons masa on smooth side of corn husk. Place 1 to 2 Tablespoons of filling along the masa center and roll tamale like a jelly roll. Fold tail over and place tamale tail-side down on a sheet pan. Refrigerate or freeze raw tamales in zipper bags until ready to steam.
- Steaming tamales: Place 2 inches of water in steamer pot. Place tamales (folded tails down) in basket. Don't overcrowd tamales. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 hours or until corn shuck pulls away from masa.