Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces, cooked and drained
- 3 hard cooked eggs, sliced
- ¼ cup finely crushed saltine crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Blend in flour, salt, mustard, and pepper.
- Add milk. Cook and stir quickly until thickened and bubbly.
- Arrange half of the asparagus in an 8 X 8 X 2 inch baking dish.
- Top with the egg slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half of the sauce mixture evenly over all.
- Top with remaining asparagus and sauce.
- Toss crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle evenly on top of sauce.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F until heated, about 25-30 minutes.