White Cheese from Dry Milk
- 2 rennet tablets
- 2 qt warm water
- 5 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Crush and dissolve the rennet tablets in the warm water in a large saucepan. Stir in the nonfat dry milk powder until it is dissolved.
- Cover with any type of clean cloth and let mixture stand at room temperature in the same pan until set, approximately 3 hours.
- When a firm curd has formed (It will look like large cottage cheese), set the pan in a sink of warm water and stir gently to get a warm temperature evenly throughout the mixture.
- When the cheese separates into whey (liquid part) and curd (lumpy part) and the curds are as firm as desired; drain through a cheesecloth lined strainer or colander.
- Rinse the cheese in the colander thoroughly with cold running water.
- Season to taste with salt. Other herbs and spices maybe added as desired. Use cheesecloth to press together and knead into a ball.
- Chill and serve as a snack or with a meal or dessert.