Healthy, Easy Green Bean Casserole
2, 8-ounce packages of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk (can use UHT milk)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2, 12-ounce packages of frozen green beans
- 1 cup almonds, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place mushrooms, onion, and canola oil in medium saucepan on medium heat; saute about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in flour and evenly coat the vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth, milk, pepper, and garlic powder. Heat to boiling, stirring regularly. Once boiling, simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until thickened to a gravy-like consistency. Continue to stir regularly.
- Stir green beans and 1/2 cup almonds into the saucepan.
- Pour green bean mixture into a 9x9 casserole dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast 1/2 cup almonds in a pan on the stove on low heat for about 5 minutes. Top casserole with toasted almonds.