If you would like an electronic copy of a paper, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles(+ indicates a graduate student)
- Ma, Z., Clarke, M.+, Church, S. Insights into individual and cooperative invasive plant management on family forestlands. Land Use Policy 75: 682-693.
- Johnson, J. L., Zanotti, L., Ma, Z., Yu, D.J., Johnson, D.R., Kirkham, A.+, Carothers, C. 2018. Interplays of sustainability, resilience, adaptation and transformation. In W. Leal Filho, R. Marans, and J. Callewaert (eds.), Handbook of Sustainability and Social Science Research. Berlin, Germany: Springer. pp. 485.
- Rohal, C.+, Kettenring, K.M., Sims, K., Hazelton, E., Ma, Z. Surveying managers to inform a regionally relevant invasive Phragmites australis research program. Journal of Environmental Management 206: 807-816.
- Burnham, M., Ma, Z. 2017. Multi-scalar pathways to smallholder adaptation. World Development. 108: 249-262.
- Ma, Z., Bauchet, J., Steele, D., Godoy, R., Radel, C., Zanotti, L. 2017. Comparison of direct transfers for human capital development and environmental conservation. World Development 99: 498-517.
- Burnham, M.+, Ma, Z. Climate change adaptation: Factors influencing Chinese smallholder farmers’ perceived self-efficacy and adaptation intent. Regional Environmental Change 17(1): 171-186.
- Farmer, J.R., Ma, Z., Drescher, M., Knackmuhs, E.G.+, Dickinson, S.L. 2017. Private landowners, voluntary conservation programs, and implementation of conservation friendly land management practices. Conservation Letters 10(1): 58-66. doi: 10.1111/conl.12241
- Burnham, M.+, Ma, Z., Endter-Wada, J., Bardsley, T. 2016. Water management decision making in the face of multiple forms of uncertainty and risk. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 52(6): 1366-1384. doi: 10.1111/1752-1688.12459
- Gitau, M.W., Chen, J.+, Ma, Z. 2016. Water quality indices as tools for decision making and management. Water Resources Management 30(8): 2591-2610.
- Ulrich-Schad, J.D., Babin, N., Ma, Z., Prokopy, L.S. 2016. Out-of-state, out of mind? Absentee farmland owners and conservation decision making. Land Use Policy 54: 602-613.
- Laatsch, J.+, Ma, Z. 2016. Climate change communication within public natural resource agencies: Lessons learned from the U.S. Forest Service. Society & Natural Resources 29(10): 1169-1185.
- Burnham, M.+, Ma, Z., Zhang, B+. 2016. Making sense of climate change: Hybrid epistemologies, socio-natural assemblages, and smallholder knowledge. Area 48(1): 18-26.
- Burnham, M.+, Ma, Z. 2016. Linking smallholder farmer climate change adaptation decisions to development. Climate and Development 8(4): 289-311.
- Young, J., Ma, Z., Laudati, A., Berger, J. 2015. Human-carnivore interactions: Lessons learned from communities in the American West. Human Dimensions of Wildlife 20(4): 349-366.
- Laatsch, J.+, Ma, Z. 2015. Strategies for incorporating climate change into public forest management. Journal of Forestry 113(3): 335-342.
- Burnham, M.+, Ma, Z., Zhu, D. 2015. The human dimensions of water saving irrigation: Lessons learned from Chinese smallholder farmers. Agriculture and Human Values 32: 347-360. DOI: 10.1007/s10460-014-9565-8
- Burnham, M.+, Radel, C., Ma, Z., Laudati, A. 2014. Teaching and learning guide for: Extending a geographic lens towards climate justice. Geography Compass 8(4): 277-285.
- Cook, S.+, Ma, Z. 2014. The interconnectedness between landowner knowledge, value, belief, attitude, and willingness to act: Policy implications for carbon sequestration on private rangelands. Journal of Environmental Management 134: 90-99.
- Greene, J.L., Butler, B.J., Catanzaro, P.F., Hewes, J.H., Kilgore, M.A., Kittredge, D.B., Ma, Z., Tyrrell, M.L. 2014. Family forest owners and federal taxes. Forest Policy and Economics 38: 219-226. (After the first author, the remainder authorship was alphabetically ordered)
- Cook, S.+, Ma, Z. 2014. Carbon sequestration and private rangelands: Insights from Utah landowners and implications for policy development. Land Use Policy 36: 522-532.
- Ma, Z., Butler, B.J., Catanzaro, P.F., Greene, J.L., Hewes, J.H., Kilgore, M.A., Kittredge, D.B., Tyrrell, M. 2014. The effectiveness of state preferential property tax programs in conserving forests: Comparisons, measurements, and challenges. Land Use Policy 36: 492-499.
- Burnham, M.+, Radel, C., Ma, Z., Laudati, A. 2013. Extending a geographic lens towards climate justice, part 1: Climate change characterization and impacts. Geography Compass 7(3): 239-248. DOI: 10.1111/gec3.12034
- Burnham, M.+, Radel, C., Ma, Z., Laudati, A. 2013. Extending a geographic lens towards climate justice, part 2: Climate action. Geography Compass 7(3): 228-238. DOI: 10.1111/gec3.12033
- Petrzelka, P., Ma, Z., Malin, S.+ The elephant in the room: Absentee landowner issues in conservation and land management. Land Use Policy 30(1): 157-166.
- Ma, Z., Coppock, D.L. 2012. Perceptions of Utah ranchers towards carbon sequestration: Policy implications for US rangelands. Journal of Environmental Management 111: 78-86.
- Butler, B.J., Catanzaro, P.F., Greene, J.L., Hewes, J.H., Kilgore, M.A., Kittredge, D.B., Ma, Z., Tyrrell, M.L. 2012. Taxing family forest owners: Implications of federal and state policies in the United States. Journal of Forestry 110(7): 371-380.
- Ma, Z., Becker, D.R., Kilgore, M.A. 2012. Barriers to and opportunities for effective cumulative impact assessment within state-level environmental review frameworks in the United States. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 55(7): 961-978.
- Ma, Z., Butler, B.J., Kittredge, D.B., Catanzaro, P. 2012. Factors associated with landowner involvement in forest conservation programs in the U.S.: Implications for policy design and outreach. Land Use Policy 29(1): 53-61.
- Ma, Z., Kittredge, D.B., Catanzaro, P. 2012. Challenging the traditional forestry extension model: Insights from the Woods Forum program in Massachusetts. Small-scale Forestry 11(1): 87-100.
- Ma, Z., Kittredge, D.B. 2011. How family forest owners consider timber harvesting, land sale, and conservation easement decisions: Insights from Massachusetts, USA. International Journal of Forestry Research. Volume 2011, Article ID 290353, 13 pages. DOI:10.1155/2011/290353.
- Butler, B.J., Ma, Z. Family forest owner trends in the northern United States. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 28(1): 13-18.
- Butler, B.J., Ma, Z., Kittredge, D.B., Catanzaro, P. 2010. Social versus biophysical availability of wood in the northern United States. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 27(4): 151-159.
- Ma, Z., Becker, D.R., Kilgore, M.A. 2009. Assessing cumulative impacts within state environmental review frameworks in the United States. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 29(6): 390-398.
- Ma, Z., Becker, D.R., Kilgore, M.A. 2009. Characterising the landscape of state environmental review policies and procedures in the United States: A national assessment. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 52(8): 1035-1051.
- Godoy, R., Reyes-Garcia, V., Huanca, T., Leonard, W.R., Olvera, R.G., Bauchet, J., Ma, Z., St. John, J., Miodosky, M., Rios, O.Z., Vadez, V., Seyfreid, C. 2007. The role of community and individuals in the formation of social capital. Human Ecology 35(6): 709-721.
- Burnham, M., Rasmussen, L.V., Ma, Z. 2018. Climate change adaptation pathways: Synergies, contradictions and tradeoffs across scales. Invited Editorial for Special Section: Climate change adaptations: Synergies, contradictions, and tradeoffs across scales. World Development 108: 231-234.
Extension Factsheets, Technical Reports and Other Publications
(+ indicates a graduate student)
- Hernández, G., Haase, D.L., Pike, C., Enebak, S., Mackey, L., Ma, Z., Clarke, M.+ 2017. Forest Nursery Seedling Production in the United States—Fiscal Year 2016. Tree Planters’ Note 60(2): 24-28. Available at: https://rngr.net/publications/tpn/60-2
- Clarke, M.+, Ma, Z., Snyder, S., Floress, K. 2017. Private woodland owners and invasive plant management in Illinois. The Voice for Illinois Forests, Volume 12 Issue 2, Summer 2017. Available at: https://www.ilforestry.org/
- Clarke, M.+, Ma, Z. What do our private woodland owners know and are doing about invasive plants in Indiana? Indiana Woodland Steward, Volume 26 Number 1, Spring 2017. Available at: http://www.inwoodlands.org/what-do-our-private-invasive/
- Clarke, M.+, Ma, Z. 2017. Invasive Plants: Impact on Environment and People. Nature of Teaching lesson plan. Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service Publication, FNR-535-W. https://edustore.purdue.edu/item.asp?Item_Number=FNR-535-W
- Hernández, G., Pike, C., Haase, D.L., Enebak, S., Ma, Z., Clarke, M.+, Mackey, L. 2016. Forest Nursery Seedling Production in the United States—Fiscal Year 2015. Tree Planters’ Note 59(2): 20-24. Available at: https://rngr.net/publications/tpn/59-2
- Cook, S. +, Ma, Z., Brain, R. 2013. Rangeland Carbon Sequestration. Utah State University Cooperative Extension. Sustainability/2013/13pr. Available at: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/sustainability_2013_13pr.pdf
- Curtis, K., Ma, Z., MacAdam, J., Chakreeyarat, V+. 2012. Rancher Adoption Potential of the Birdsfoot Trefoil Pasture Beef Production System in the Intermountain West. Utah State University Cooperative Extension. AG/Agribusiness/2012-03pr.
- Butler, B.J., Hewes, J.H., Catanzaro, P., Greene, J.L., Kilgore, M.A., Kittredge, D.B., Langer, J., Ma, Z., Reuben, A., Tyrrell, M. 2010. Effects of Federal, State, and Local Tax Policies on Family Forest Owners: Technical Report. USDA Forest Service/University of Massachusetts Amherst, Family Forest Research Center, Amherst, MA. FFRC Research Paper No. 2010-01. 76 p. Available on-line at: familyforestresearchcenter.org/projects/taxes.html.
- Godoy, R., Bauchet, J., Ma, Z. Comparison of socio-economic indicators between Puerto Rico and the United States mainland: Analysis of the Census 2000. Working Paper No.10. Waltham, MA: Center for International Development, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University.