Don’t make a trip to the emergency room the “highlight” of your 4th of July – celebrate safely this Independence Day weekend!
Also, please be aware that recent dry weather across much of the state will increase the possibility of grass, field, or structure fires caused by errant fireworks, or even recreational campfires. Follow any local regulations or guidance – if local authorities initiate a burn ban or restrict fireworks use, save them for later when conditions are safer!
Fireworks are combustible or explosive devices, and they should be handled cautiously. Sparklers, for example, burn at about 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which can melt some metals, not to mention burn skin.
Always remember the following safety tips when interacting with fireworks:
- Only light one firework at a time and never attempt to re-light or fix a “dud” firework.
- Always have a fire extinguisher or water supply, such as a hose or bucket of water, nearby.
- Do not allow young children to use fireworks, and only let older children handle them under close adult supervision.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Never smoke or consume alcohol when lighting fireworks.
- Do not hold lit fireworks in your hands, and do not point or throw fireworks at others.
- Use extreme caution when lighting fireworks in the wind. Keep spectators where the wind is blowing smoke and debris away from them.
- Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
- After a firework has finished burning, douse it with plenty of water before throwing it away to prevent starting a trash fire.
- Do not attempt to make or alter any fireworks or firework devices.
- Keep pets indoors, away from fireworks. Set up an area away from windows where they cannot see or hear fireworks, as many pets are terrified of them. Consider buying medication from a veterinarian ahead of time to calm pets.