Purdue Extension offers marketing workshops for vegetable farmers
December 15, 2015
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The Purdue Extension Local Food Program and county Extension offices will host four workshops for vegetable farmers who want to learn about wholesale markets.
During the workshops in January and February, attendees will learn about getting into local and regional wholesale markets. Some of the topics include wholesale vegetable production, food safety practices, strategies for production, and customer relationships and management.
Participants will receive a comprehensive Wholesale Success Manual and have the opportunity to network with other growers and wholesale buyers.
“These workshops are quite valuable for any size vegetable grower seeking new wholesale accounts in the local and regional food systems,” said Jodee Ellett, Purdue Extension local foods coordinator.
The trainer is Atina Diffley, an organic farmer, public speaker and author. “She brings a wealth of experience, insight and knowledge to her trainings and has trained thousands of vegetable farmers,” Ellett said.
Registration for all workshops will begin at 8:30 a.m. All workshops will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Dates and locations are as follows:
* Jan. 11, Purdue Extension Office, Shine Family Conference Room, 3000 Technology Ave., New Albany.
* Jan. 12, Jackson County Learning Center, 323 Dupont Drive, Seymour.
* Feb. 12, Smith Family Farm, 7055 W. 675 S., Pendleton.
* Feb. 13, Parke County Extension Office, 1472 N. U.S. 41, Rockville.
A grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Risk Management Education Partnership Program and FamilyFarmed, a nonprofit organization based in Illinois, allows vegetable farmers in Indiana to attend the one-day workshops at a cost of $20, which includes lunch, beverages, snacks and the manual. Registration is available at http://tinyurl.com/zty24wf.
Registration is also available through the following contacts:
* Jan. 11 workshop: Gina Anderson, email@example.com, 812- 948-5470.
* Jan. 12 workshop: Richard Beckhort, firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-358-6101.
* Feb. 12 workshop: Michael O’Donnell, email@example.com, 765-747-7732.
* Feb. 13 workshop: Jim Luzar, firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-462-3371.
More information is available at http://www.familyfarmed.org/our-work/farmer-training/.
Writer: Chelsea Clodfelder, 765-494-2722, email@example.com
Source: Jodee Ellett, firstname.lastname@example.org