April 16, 2013
College of Science honors distinguished alumni
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University's College of Science inducted nine distinguished alumni on Friday (April 12).
Recipients of the 2013 distinguished alumni honor are Robert Bedoukian, Stephen R. Brand, Roger L. Dixon, Jane Hamblin, Lawrence Landweber, Robert D. Sherwood, Dan Wolak, Sam Woolford and Hao Wu
* Bedoukian is currently a member of the advisory council for Western Connecticut Health Network Biomedical Research. After receiving a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering at Tufts University in 1970, he earned his doctorate at Purdue in organic chemistry in 1975.
* Brand recently served as senior vice president of technology, research and development at ConocoPhillips. After receiving his bachelor's degree in geology at the University of Minnesota Duluth in 1971, he earned his master's and doctoral degrees in geology at Purdue in 1973 and 1976.
* Dixon is the head of the accelerator division at Fermilab. After receiving his bachelor's degree in physics and mathematics at New Mexico Highlands University in 1970, he earned his master's and doctoral degrees in physics at Purdue in 1972 and 1975.
* Hamblin is executive director of the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society. She received her bachelor's degree in mathematics from Purdue in 1974 and earned a law degree from Indiana University in 1980.
* Landweber was inducted into the first-ever class of the Internet Hall of Fame in 2012. After receiving his bachelor's degree in mathematics at Brooklyn College in 1963, he earned his master's and doctoral degrees in computer science at Purdue in 1966 and 1967.
* Sherwood is associate dean of research at Indiana University's School of Education. He received bachelor's and master's degrees in chemistry from Purdue in 1971 and 1973. He went on to earn his doctorate in science education at Indiana University in 1980.
* Wolak is currently president of Union Labor Life Insurance. He received his bachelor's and master's degrees in mathematics from Purdue in 1975 and 1977.
* Woolford is director of the Center for Quantitative Analysis at Bentley University. After receiving his bachelor's degree in applied mathematics from Brown University in 1973, he received his master's and doctoral degrees in statistics from Purdue in 1975 and 1979.
* Wu was elected a fellow of The American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2012. After receiving her bachelor's degree at Peking University in 1985 and her master's degree at Peking Union Medical College in 1988, she earned her doctorate in biochemistry at Purdue in 1992.
Writer: Morgan Stephens, 765-490-4855, MorganLStephens@gmail.com
Source: Timothy Brouk, 765-496-1682, firstname.lastname@example.org
Purdue College of Science Distinguished Alumni