About Sigma Xi Membership
- Membership in Sigma Xi is by invitation (nomination).
- Sigma Xi membership requires nomination by two Sigma Xi members.
- Sigma Xi membership is not linked to the possession of any specific education degree.
- Sigma Xi membership is not contingent upon belonging to some other organization.
- Students and non-students follow the same review process for Sigma Xi membership.
- Neither Sigma Xi, nor any chapter of Sigma Xi, shall discriminate against candidates for election to membership on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Membership Categories and Qualifications
An individual who has shown noteworthy achievement as an original investigator in a field of pure or applied science is eligible for election to Full Membership.
- This noteworthy achievement must be evidenced by publication as the primary author (defined in the manner appropriate to the discipline) on at least two different articles published in a refereed journal, patents, or refereed monographs.
- Dissertations and theses alone are not considered sufficient for demonstration of this achievement and must be accompanied by at least two other publications.
An individual who has conducted independent investigation and written a report concerning their research is eligible for election to Associate Membership.
- This initial research achievement can be in a field of pure or applied science.
- Associate members may or may not qualify for promotion to Full Membership later, based on qualifications.
- Promotion review will follow the same procedure as the initial nomination.
- Promotion to Full Membership: Associate Members may be promoted to Full Membership once they satisfy the Full Membership qualifications.
How Do I Become a Sigma Xi Member?
- Through the Committee on Qualifications on Membership (CQM): If you wish to self-nominate for membership or have one Sigma Xi nominator, you can request that the Sigma Xi Committee on Qualifications on Membership review your application for membership.
- Through a local Sigma Xi Chapter: If a Sigma Xi chapter is located in your local area, you can request that Chapter’s officers review your Sigma Xi nomination.
- The best and easiest approach is to contact the Purdue Chapter Treasurer, who is also the Membership chair. The Treasurer will process the application, seek approval within the Board and ensure that the final application is signed by 2 current Sigma Xi members. If you would like to be nominated by someone specifically, you are welcome to contact that member first to sign and submit the application to the Treasurer.
NOTE: Please only submit your nomination once - either through CQM or local chapter. If you submit your nomination in both places, you will impede the processing of your membership.
New Member Dues Rates
The initiation fees and promotion fees are covered by the Purdue Chapter.