To foster Teaching Excellence at Purdue, instructors are recognized at the national level. Learn more about the ways in which these efforts are recognized and applauded.
Recognizing teaching excellence fosters a culture of valuing teaching across campus. There are many opportunities for celebrating this excellence at the College/Departmental, University, and National levels. Note, these lists are not exhaustive, please check with your College and Department for additional opportunities.
College of Agriculture
- Distinguished Teacher Educator Award – North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
- The central purpose of the NACTA award is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education. It is a criteria-based award and is evaluated by a committee of NACTA members. Recipients of the NACTA receive a plaque for their efforts and are expected to attend annual meetings (NACTA Educator, n.d.).
- Distinguished Graduate Teaching Award – Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- The Distinguished Teaching Awards recognize and encourage admirable performance in graduate teaching. Award winners will demonstrate outstanding ability and strong performance in fulfilling the teaching mission as defined by the AAEA Vision Statement (AAEA, n.d.).
- Distinguished Innovative Idea Poster Presentation, Southern Region, American Association for Agricultural Education
- Diversity and Inclusion Award for Mentoring @ Purdue Team, APLU National Experiment Station Section
- The Diversity and Inclusion Award recognizes the activities of individuals at the national level that empower groups and effectively enhance inclusion within organizations (APLU, n.d.).
- United States Department of Agriculture New Teacher Award
- This program recognizes outstanding college professors of agriculture, natural resources, veterinary, and human sciences. The selection committee chose two national recipients, two early-career recipients, and two teaching and student engagement recipients. This award is sponsored by a partnership with NIFA, the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University working with the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU), and the University of Georgia (NIFA, USDA, n.d.).
- Excellence in Teaching Award – Junior Level, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture
- This award recognizes excellence in creative, innovative, and effective teaching methodologies and practice to one junior level instructor with 3-10 years of teaching experience (CELA, n.d.).
- Precision Ag Institute 2018 Educator/Researcher Award of Excellence
- This Precision Ag Award recognizes an individual whose research and education program has advanced the principles and/or expanded the practice of precision agriculture. Nominations are evaluated clearly for innovation, leadership, stewards, and the overall impact of precision farming (“PrecisionAg,” 2021). The PrecisionAg Institute has sponsored the PresionAg Awards of Excellence Program since 2007 (Service, 2018).
- Selected to deliver 2018 Justin Smith Morrill Lecture, Association of Public and Land Grant Universities
- o The Justin Smith Morrill Memorial Lecture is one of three rotating memorial lectures honoring historical figures of the Land-grant University system. Each year, the NIFA joins the APLU to sponsor a lecture presented at the annual APLU meeting. Since 1980, there have been thought-provoking lectures by many outstanding contributors to agriculture, research, education, and extension (NIFA, APLU, n.d.). In 2018, Haley Oliver, associate professor of food science at Purdue University was the first woman elected to deliver the lecture (Cornell CALS, 2018).
- National Land-Grant Diversity Champion Team Award (Mentoring @ Purdue Team)
- o The National Land-Grant Diversity Conference Diversity Champion Awards recognize the accomplishments of individuals and teams that contribute to diversity and inclusion through exemplary leadership. Recipients are awarded during the Tri-State Diversity Conference. Award winners receive a certificate and $100 prize (National Land-Grant, 2018).
- Teaching and Learning Award, Indiana Council for Continuing Education
College of Education
- American Studies Graduate Student Organization Outstanding Faculty Award for 2017-18
- Best of the Best in English Language Learner Education Award (INTESOL)
- Post-Secondary Teacher of the Year Award
- The Postsecondary Teacher of the Year Award is sponsored by Goodheart-Willcox, a premier textbook publisher. This award recognizes the finest career and technical teachers at the postsecondary level. Recipients of this award have demonstrated innovation in the classroom, commitment to their students, and dedication to the improvement of the Career and Technical Institution within their communities (Nagurka, 2018).
- ACTE Region III Postsecondary Teacher of the Year
College of Engineering
- American Academy Environmental Engineers and Scientists Excellence in Environmental Engineering Education Award
- The E4S Award will be granted to an educator who has made a significant contribution to the profession in the area of educating practitioners.
- Education Award, Electron Devices Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- The Education Award is presented every year by the Electron Devices Society at the International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM). It honors an individual who has contributed distinguished contributions to education within the interest of the Electron Devices Society. The recipient is awarded a check for $2,500 and a certificate (Electron Devices Society, 2021).
- U.C. Regents’ Lecturer at UCLA
- Established by the Regents of the University of California, the Regents’ Professors and Lecturers Program (RPLP) showcases leaders from non-academic fields to enhance students’ exposure to a diverse range of successful professions. Regents’ Lecturers participate in instructional activities in the sponsoring department for informal consultations with faculty and students. Each Regents’ Lecturer commonly gives one public lecture (Regents’ Professor and Lecturer Program, 2017).
- United States Department of Agriculture 2018 New Teacher Award
- This program recognizes outstanding college professors of agriculture, natural resources, veterinary, and human sciences. The selection committee chose two national recipients, two early-career recipients, and two teaching and student engagement recipients. This award is sponsored by a partnership with NIFA, the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University working with the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) and the University of Georgia (NIFA, USDA, n.d.)
College of Health and Human Sciences
- National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) Felix Berardo Scholarship Award for Mentoring
- The Felix Berardo Scholarship Award for Mentoring is given in honor of Dr. Felix Berardo, a well-known and beloved professor from the University of Florida, who went above and beyond expectations in mentoring many students to become outstanding leaders in the family field. The award recognizes an NCFR member for excellence in mentoring junior colleagues, graduate students, or undergraduates. Outstanding mentoring goes beyond classroom teaching and includes the provision of support, guidance, and opportunities for professional development (NCFR, Felix Berado, 2021).
- The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Paul M. Fitts Education Award
- Established in 1968, this award recognizes a person who has made exceptional contributions to the education and training of HF/E specialists. Candidates should either be currently or previously engaged in college or university teaching of HF/E material or should have written significant textbooks in the field. The principal criteria for evaluation are the influence that the candidate has had on students and/or how extensively the candidate’s work has been used by educators in general (FHES, n.d.).
College of Pharmacy
- American Association of Diabetes Educators: Strategic Initiative Award
- This award recognizes a member whose work reinforces American Association of Diabetes Educators’s strategic goals in diversity or new models of care to achieve outcomes inspired by AADE’s mission and vision. This award is presented at the AADE’s national meeting (AADE Honors Excellence, 2018)
- National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA) Excellence in Innovation Award
- The Excellence in Innovation Award recognizes qualified pharmacists who have demonstrated significant innovation in their practice, method, or service directly or indirectly resulting in improved patient care and/or advancement of the profession of pharmacy. The award is presented by participating state pharmacist associations and is coordinated by NASPA and sponsored by Upsher-Smith (Upsher-Smith, 2021)
College of Science
- National Council of the American Association of University Professors
- The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is a nonprofit membership association in the United States, made up of professors and academics. There are over 500 campus chapters and 39 state organizations. The AAUP was founded in 1915 and helps shape the higher education system in America. The National Council meets three times a year (AAUP, n.d.)
- Outstanding Professor of Basic Science Award at the Senior Awards Program of the Indiana University School of Medicine, Class of 2018
College of Veterinary Medicine
- SAVMA Teaching Excellence Award from the National Student American Veterinary Medical Association
- This award is offered to recognize outstanding teachers in our profession for their impact on veterinary students. The teacher that is chosen will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the SAVMA Student Symposium to address the SAVMA HOD and receive an award at Symposium gala (SAVMA Awards, n.d.).
Purdue Polytechnic Institute
- Outstanding Faculty in Learning Award