A Welcome Message from PACADA’s 2016-17 Chair – Colleen Brown
Welcome to the Purdue Academic Advising Association (PACADA)! Now in our 29th year, PACADA is one of the oldest allied organizations with our national association, NACADA. Since the beginning, PACADA has served the campus community as a way for members to:
- Create and participate in professional development activities
- Network with campus partners
- Have a voice with campus administration
- Improve leadership skills through involvement in our various committees
Over time, there have been changes in our policies and processes; however, our fundamental goal of promoting the advising profession has remained constant.
I am excited to be a part of the many things PACADA has accomplished over the last year and am looking forward to what we have on the horizon.
Here is a brief recap of some recent highlights:
- PACADA launched a Professional Mentoring Program in November 2015 to connect professionals across campus. The first round paired more than 60 people who can learn from each other – we are thrilled! More to come in May 2016 if you are interested!
- PACADA recently awarded $2000.00 in professional development grants to help members cover travel costs associated with attending conferences. A great example of your dues hard at work!
- Speaking of conferences, the Region 5 conference will be held in Toronto, Canada in April 2016 and we know we have several advisors presenting what we do well here at Purdue. PACADA was well represented at Region 5 last year in Indianapolis with 57 members in attendance, 7 of whom were presenters, one team even winning “Best of Region 5”!
- We partnered with Sandy’s Monroe’s Office and hosted George Kuh as our Fall Retreat 2015 Key Note Speaker. What a great opportunity that was for all of us! Planning is well underway for our 2016 Fall Retreat already. Can’t wait to see what our Professional Development has in store for us this year!
- PACADA partnered again with Sandy’s office to offer 3 training sessions on Mental Health Issues on campus. This is an important and well-received topic as we continue our mission of helping students be successful.
- This last year both our Chair and Vice Chair attended the Campus Partners meetings held monthly by the Director of University Undergraduate Academic Advising (Sandy Monroe); this opportunity will allow PACADA to be more deeply involved in the larger campus conversation when new ideas and policies are discussed.
- Our former chairs – Kelly Pistilli & LeAnn Williams – have made our voices heard as they represent PACADA on the Educational Policy Committee. Keep up the great work!
- There are many great opportunities ahead for our organization; the possibilities are endless!
Whether you are new to the advising or student services profession or are a seasoned veteran, PACADA has something to offer you. I encourage you not only to join, but more importantly to become an active participant:
- Committees always welcome new members!
- There are annual events that need strong leadership – jump in and lend us your talents!
- New advisors are joining our campus community in record numbers; reach out to these new coworkers and help them become involved in our professional organization!
PACADA provides a great way to become active on campus, and to improve the advising community at Purdue. If you haven’t already, please join us to continue the great legacy that is Purdue Academic Advising!
Hail Purdue! Boiler Up!
Chair of PACADA, 2016-2017
Mission and Vision
The purpose of the Purdue Academic Advising Association (PACADA) is to promote the quality of academic advising at Purdue University, and to this end, it is dedicated to the support and professional growth of academic advising and advisors. PACADA serves its constituency – faculty members, administrators, counselors, academic advisors, graduate students, and others in academic and student affairs concerned with the intellectual, personal, and vocational needs of students. It is the forum for discussion, debate, and the exchange of ideas regarding academic advising with other areas and activities of higher education. PACADA is the representative and advocate of academic advising and academic advisors of Purdue University.