We study language and cognitive development using a variety of empirical and computational approaches. Our lab is interested in broadly studying how humans build on their world experience and knowledge to learn language. Some specific research questions have addressed:
- Why do children learn some words earlier than others?
- How do children learn the connections between word meanings?
- How do language processing skills support word learning?
- Can we identify early markers of language and reading disorders before children enter school?
- How and when do we predict the contents of upcoming speech?
- How do individual differences affect the way we understand and learn language?
- How do we interpret sentences in everyday and novel situations?
- How do our brains rapidly learn new words?