The aviation industry is vast and complex! There are countless opportunities to have a career within this exciting and dynamic industry. At the same time it is important to have as many connections both within a specific career niche and within related areas of that community.
The Aviation Learning Community is designed for students with an interest in being rooted in the aviation industry and engaging both within and outside the main focus of their career aspirations. Pilots are better pilots when they connect with and understand air traffic control and maintenance technicians. Airport managers are better managers when they connect with and can relate with those that utilize the airport and those that rely on it for economic diversity and stability. Aeronautical Technology Engineers understand potential issues and can develop innovative solutions when they understand the aircraft utilization mindset of pilots and others that engage with the aircraft operationally. You get the idea...
The Aviation Learning Community is an opportunity to engage with faculty in the Aviation Technology Department, academic advisors, alumni, and others on a more personal level. Students have the opportunity to inquire for answers to newly developed questions in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere. Networking both within your discipline and within others is one of the many opportunities this community provides. This Learning Community is designed to provide appropriate experiences and encourage students from day one to develop skills as they go on to a career in this exciting and important industry.
- First-time beginning students admitted to the Purdue Polytechnic Institute with a major in Aviation Technology
- This LC is available to Honors College participants; those students will live with the Honors College and participate in the course(s) and activities of the LC
- OPTIONAL in McCutcheon Hall
- If you choose this option, your roommate in most cases will be a member of the LC
- Completing a housing contract is a separate process from applying for the LC
Fall 2016 Semester
AT 10000, AT 29000
Events and Activities Included:
- Welcome Cookout
- Understanding your specific learning style
- Exposure to research and innovation being conducted in AT
- Periodic meals with faculty members and special guests
- Weekly meetings with faculty, alumni, and employers to discuss development in the industry
- Participation in Purdue-centered social and cultural events
- Reflection on your first semester at a Big Ten University
- Class activities that directly relate to this Learning Community and students' career goals
- Field trips to aviation facilities that represent the aviation industry
Information above is subject to change. If you are placed in the LC, the associated courses will be on your schedule prior to you registering for the rest of your classes.