This program is for diabetics or those at risk for diabetes and their caregivers, but it is also helpful to anyone interested in diabetes or friends and family of a diabetic. You’ll learn how to lessen the health risks of diabetes. Four to five 2-hour lessons are taught weekly with an optional follow-up lesson.
- food choice
- diet planning
- healthy cooking
- portion control
- medical indicator awareness
- healthy activity levels for those with diabetes
Participants watch food preparation presentations, taste test, and take home recipes.
Making a Difference
During 2016-17, the program was presented 33 times in 26 Indiana counties to 361 people.
Dining with Diabetes participants report
- increased knowledge of nutrition and diabetes management
- exercising more
- eating more fruits and vegetables
- increasing dairy intake
- practicing healthful cooking and food preparation behaviors more often after the program compared with before the program