May 9, 2012
In the spotlight
Córdova named one of the women who shaped America
President France A. Córdova is featured in a PBS-sponsored educational program and documentary highlighting women whose accomplishments in society, arts and science have helped shape America.
This week, Purdue Today will focus on the key events and initiatives that have taken place during President France A. Córdova's administration. Córdova, Purdue's 11th president, will end her five-year term as president in July. Presidential highlights from 2010 include:
• President Córdova announces plans for a student success corridor, which will include a Center for Student Excellence and Leadership, the Ralph E. and Bettye J. Holder Bailey Hall for Purdue Musical Organizations, a classroom building planned at the location of the former north power plant and a major reconceptualization, renovation and expansion of the Recreational Sports Center into a Student Fitness and Wellness Center.
• The new College of Health and Human Sciences is formed with the goal is to improve interdisciplinary collaborations, innovation and learning while improving people's quality of life and health.
• Ei-ichi Negishi, Purdue's Herbert C. Brown Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, wins the Nobel Prize in chemistry for creating a method to build complex organic molecules necessary for numerous purposes, from pharmaceutical manufacturing to electronics.
More from 2010.
• Retrospective video
• Photo slideshow
• President Córdova's website
Featured News for Employees
New parking permit refund procedure to take effect Aug. 1
Effective Aug. 1, a new parking permit refund procedure will be in place for all faculty, staff, and students. Read more...
Bike to Work Day: Save on gas, get active
In celebration of National Bike Month, the campus community is invited to participate in Greater Lafayette's Bike to Work Day on May 18. Read more...
Purdue Farmers Market's new location, hours
Following a successful launch with its new location and hours, the Purdue Farmers Market again will offer fruits, vegetables, crafts and other goods from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday (May 10). Read more...
Women's golf begins NCAA Regional action on Thursday
The Purdue women's golf team begins NCAA Central Regional action Thursday in Columbus, Ohio, at the Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlet Course. The 33rd-ranked Boilermakers are the No. 11 seed and will be paired with Florida State and Arkansas when they tee off from hole No. 10 at 8 a.m. ET. Read more...
Wrestling earns NWCA All-Academic Top-30 honors
The Purdue wrestling team was named a National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) All-Academic Top-30 program on Tuesday, finishing with the 28th-best team grade point average (GPA) in the nation. Senior A.J. Kissel led the way, becoming the first four-time NWCA All-Academic individual honoree in Purdue history. Read more...
For more information on Purdue sports, go to www.purduesports.com.
• This week's events
• Events for the next four weeks
Sites of interest
• Momentum Makers
• Difference Makers
• 5 Students Who ...