PVM Graduation Celebration Recognizes Award Recipients
The virtual Graduation Celebration hosted by the Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine in lieu of traditional commencement exercises included the recognition of recipients of faculty, resident, intern, and student awards. Typically the awards would have been presented at the Graduation Gala on the eve of commencement, but due to the changes necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic, the award recognition was incorporated into the college’s virtual celebration that was streamed via Facebook Live Saturday, May 16.
As part of the program the names of the awardees were scrolled across the screen, with special mention of the following faculty/resident/intern awards:
- Katie McCallister Compassion Award – Dr. Robert “Trey” Callahan, small animal medicine and surgery intern
Established by Dr. Robert and Sandy McCallister and their family in memory of Katie, their beloved Sheltie, this award recognizes a resident or intern who demonstrates extraordinary compassion and empathy toward both patients and their families, possesses excellent communication skills that promote a sense of trust and confidence, and serves as an excellent role model for both students and peers in providing quality and compassionate care for their patients.
- Dr. Ann L. Johnson & Dr. Walter E. Hoffmann Resident Teaching Award – Dr. Sissy Hong, third-year resident in neurology
Established by a Purdue Veterinary Medicine alumna, Dr. Ann Johnson (PU DVM ’75), and her husband, this award recognizes outstanding teaching by a resident in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences.
- Elanco Veterinary Nursing Outstanding Teaching Award – Dr. Mindy Anderson, visiting assistant professor of basic medical sciences and instructor in the Veterinary Nursing Program
Selected by a vote of the veterinary nursing students, this award recognizes excellence in teaching in the Veterinary Nursing Program.
- Weedon Faculty Recognition Award – Dr. Jim Weisman, assistant dean for student affairs and clinical associate professor
Selected by a vote of the members of the DVM Class of 2020, this award recognizes the individual faculty member who has made the greatest contribution to their success during their four years in veterinary school.
Additionally, recipients of the following Veterinary Nursing Student Awards were recognized:
- Eber H. Allen Leadership Award – Sarah Summerlot, AAS, and Samantha Thompson, AAS
Sponsored by the Northeast Indiana Veterinary Medical Association, this award is presented to veterinary nursing students who exhibit outstanding leadership and professionalism, which has resulted in advancing a positive image of the Veterinary Nursing Program.
- Highest Academic Achievement Award – Jennifer Davis, AAS
Sponsored by Harry and Freida Latshaw, this award recognizes the student who has excelled academically and has earned the highest grade point average in the associate degree program.
- Outstanding Veterinary Nurse Award – Megan Allan, BS, RVT
This award, sponsored by Harry and Freida Latshaw, is awarded to a fourth-year veterinary nursing student who exhibits both outstanding academics and excellent clinical skills.
- Veterinary Nurse Highest Technical Proficiency Award – Sarah Summerlot, AAS
Sponsored by Connie Han and Cheryl Hurd, this award recognizes a student for outstanding technical proficiency in clinical rotations in the Purdue Veterinary Hospital.
Recognition also was given to the following recipients of DVM Student Awards:
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons Award – Dr. Danielle Keating, Large Animal Surgery, and Dr. Julie Mosher, Small Animal Surgery
This award is given to students who demonstrate academic and clinical proficiency in surgery, as well as aptitude and interest in surgery.
- IDEXX Award for Proficiency in Clinical Pathology – Dr. Sofia Lopez-Valle
This award recognizes a student who demonstrates a strong understanding of clinical pathology and its practical application to clinical cases.
- Comparative Ophthalmology Award – Dr. Levi Smith
Established by veterinary ophthalmology alumni, this award is presented to a student who demonstrates excellence in academic performance, research, or service in comparative ophthalmology.
- American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology Award – Dr. Cassandra Ceckowski
This award is presented to a student who excels in clinical dermatology.
- Veterinary Cancer Society Award for Proficiency in Clinical Oncology – Dr. Eric Boone
This award recognizes a student who demonstrates proficiency in the care of veterinary oncology patients and aptitude in clinical oncology.
- American College of Veterinary Radiology Award – Dr. Brooke Unruh
This award is presented to a student excelling in comparative radiology and diagnostic imaging.
- Shelter Medicine Program Award – Dr. Samantha Swartzentruber
This award recognizes a student who exemplifies compassion for shelter pets, excellent interaction with shelter clients, and proficiency in shelter medicine.
- Indiana State Poultry Association Award – Dr. Nick Newsome
This award honors a student with high proficiency in avian medicine.
- American Animal Hospital Association Award for Proficiency in Primary Care – Dr. Danielle Lower
This award is presented to a veterinary student with proficiency in primary care.
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists Award for Excellence in Veterinary Pathology – Dr. Levi Smith
This award recognizes an outstanding veterinary student who demonstrates exceptional proficiency and interest in anatomic and/or clinical pathology.
- American College of Theriogenologists Clinical Proficiency Student Award – Dr. Brooke Unruh
This award honors a DVM student who exemplifies clinical proficiency in theriogenology.
- Indiana Veterinary Medical Association Award for Clinical Proficiency in All Species – Dr. Julie Mosher, Small Animal; Dr. Brooke Unruh, Large Animal; and Dr. Sarah Bohac, All Species
This award recognizes proficiency in small animal medicine and surgery, large animal medicine and surgery, or in all species.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners Award – Dr. Samantha Swartzentruber
This recognition is awarded to a student demonstrating highest proficiency in feline medicine and surgery.
- Indiana Association of Equine Practitioners Award – Dr. Caitlin Smith, First Place; Dr. Danielle Keating, Second Place; and Dr. Hailey Everett, Third Place
This award recognizes three students who exhibit the highest proficiency in equine medicine and surgery and display the highest degree of professionalism.
- 15th District of the Indiana Veterinary Medical Association / American Association of Bovine Practitioners Excellence in Bovine Veterinary Medicine Award – Dr. Trey Gellert
This award is presented to a student who has demonstrated exceptional proficiency and interest in bovine production medicine and surgery.
- Central Indiana Veterinary Medical Association Award – Dr. Anne Marshall
This award honors a student with outstanding client communication skills.
- G. Edward Cummins Compassionate Care Award – Dr. Anna Sacco
This award was established by Elaine and Stephen Fess to recognize a student exemplifying clinical training and compassion for animals and clients alike.
- Bastien Award – Dr. Jessica Linder
This award was established by John and JoAnn Bastien and is presented to a student exemplifying empathy and exceptional care to canine patients.
- Veterinary Clinical Sciences Award for Exceptional Clinical Proficiency by a Clinical Year Student – Dr. Melissa Tilley
This award, sponsored by the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, recognizes a student who demonstrates excellence in patient care, knowledge of medical principles of disease, teamwork, and improvement in clinical proficiency.
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Certificate of Clinical Excellence – Dr. Eric Boone, Small Animal; Dr. Kylie Roman, Small Animal; and Dr. Megan Swasey, Large Animal
This recognition is awarded to two students in small animal and one in large animal.
- Indiana Horse Council Award – Dr. Danielle Keating
This award honors an Equine Club member who provided the greatest exposure to, participated in activities of, and heightened awareness of the Indiana equine industry for other veterinary students at Purdue during the preceding academic year.
- 12th District of the Indiana Veterinary Medical Association Award – Dr. Sara Canada
This recognition is awarded to a student who demonstrates excellence in academic performance, research, or service in veterinary public health and preventive medicine.
- Class of 1983 Award – Dr. Christina Smith
This award, established in honor of a Class of 1983 alumna, Dr. Madelynn Allen, is presented to a student who has overcome obstacles or persevered despite difficult circumstances in pursuit of the DVM degree.
- Purdue Veterinary Alumni Association Senior Leadership Award – Dr. Kylie Roman
This award honors a student selected by classmates for demonstrating leadership through involvement in school activities, service to community, and engagement with the veterinary medical profession.
Congratulations to all of the award recipients!
Writer(s): Kevin Doerr | firstname.lastname@example.org