- Has expertise in U.S. policy regarding health and aging. Also studies cultural issues relating to African-Americans.
- Published articles include ''Assessing the Impacts of Community-based Health Care Policies and Programs for Older Adults,'' ''Are Black Older Adults Health Pessimistic?'' ''Are Older People Most Afraid of Crime?'' and ''Cohort Change in Images of Older Adults.'' Wrote book chapters on ''Widowhood and Health'' and ''Health Needs and Services for Older Adults: Evaluating Policies for an Aging Society.''
- Teaches principles and techniques of psychotherapy, interpersonal relations, and clinical gerontological psychology. Supervises adult clinical psychology practice. Recent research has been on problems in long-term marriages and on the impact of cancer on marriage and family relationships.
- Has expertise in family relationships in old age. Studies sibling relationships throughout adulthood, effects of relationships when adult children care for elderly parents and euthanasia in old age. Currently researching to what extent the elderly want to make decisions on how to die.
- Studied prescription drug use and misuse by seniors in Midwest. On review panel of the Journal of Gerontological Nursing. Has studied alcohol abuse by the elderly and situation of working adults who are primary caregivers for the elderly. Special interest in health needs/functionality of people over age 85.
- Makes group presentations on adult children with dependent parents.
- Can discuss drug and alcohol problems unique to senior citizens.
- Has expertise in personal and family budgeting. Also interested in long-term care financing.
- Expert in financial management and retirement planning, financial well-being of the elderly and financing long-term health care.
- Researches aging and finance. Studies include: transfers of time and money for disabled parents, gender differences in health as a retirement reason, financial well-being of older women, and the use of home equity loans throughout the life stages.
- Studied health-care workers views on assisted suicide.
- Conducted research on medical concerns of elderly African-Americans.
- Organized and documented a seven-nation study of daily life in old age. Researched the influence of social relationships in averting depression among elderly cancer patients.
- Is studying factors in sexuality as people age, an outgrowth of her previous studies on post- hysterectomy experiences of women.
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; e-mail, email@example.com
To the Purdue News Home Page.