Peer Research Mentor Information
Applications for the Spring 2023-Fall 2023 peer mentors are NOW OPEN!
Peer research mentors are leaders within the Purdue undergraduate research community who support new Boilermakers during their first research experience. Peer mentors create an engaging and supportive environment by sharing successes and challenges as new researchers and Boilermakers.
The Purdue First Year Investigators Program's peer research mentor position is valuable to students who plan to attend graduate school and to those who strive to achieve a supervisory role in the industry they choose to pursue. If you are a current or past undergraduate researcher, you can apply to be a student peer mentor for the spring 2023/fall 2023 semester program through OURConnect. Participation during the Fall 2023 semester is compensated for your time either 6 or 10 hours per week based on how many mentees you mentor.
Application review will begin November 18, 2022 and continue until full.
Additional Program Information
The Purdue First-Year Undergraduate Research Program provides new Boilermakers an academic-year experience to prepare and conduct research with expert Purdue researchers. Student mentors are vital to this Program through peer-to-peer advice, guidance, and support.
Through this academic-year program, student peer mentors will:
- Be trained on how to serve as a mentor using the "Entering Mentoring" curriculum in a preparation seminar course during the fall semester.
- Mentor a group of first-year undergraduate researchers during their spring project.
- Receive compensation for during the fall project while actively mentoring first-time researchers.
Peer mentors are part of the mentorship team for the first-time researcher alongside an expert faculty or staff research mentor. Peer mentors will lead group and individual reflection activities to ensure their transition to student researcher is as effective as possible. Peer mentors will participate in the first-time researchers' support class during the fall semester as teaching assistants - similar to a supplemental instructor.
Apply to be a Student Peer Mentor
If you are a current or past undergraduate researcher, you can apply to be a student peer mentor for the through OURConnect.
- Review the Peer Mentor First-Year Program Guide.
- You will need this Statement of Interest template for submitting your application. Download, complete, save, and upload to the Statement of Interest portion of the application.
Student Peer Mentor Timeline
Fall 2022 - Student peer mentors will apply to be in the program through OURConnect
Spring 2023 - Selected peer mentors will take an in-person mentor training course (ILS 495 - Research Mentor Training*) on Wednesdays at 4:30pm.
Fall 2023 - Trained peer mentors will:
- contribute to the mentorship of a first-time researcher alongside the project's research mentor while attending the online course their mentees are taking (ILS 280 - Understanding Your Undergraduate Research Experience I**).
- meet with their mentees on a weekly basis to lead activities and discussions.
- be compensated for leading activities with the first-time researchers in the course and individually.
- meet with program leadership during a seminar to "check in" on how the mentorships are going and to continue applying what was previously learned. Peer mentors may receive independent course credit if wanted***.
*ILS 495 - Research Mentor Training is an in-person 1-credit course that trains students to be peer mentors using the "Entering Mentoring" curriculum as a foundation.
**ILS 280 - Understanding Your Undergraduate Research Experience I is the online course first-time researchers will be taking while they are conducting their fall 2023 projects. Peer mentors will serve as teaching assistants in this course to help with grading and providing feedback to their mentees in the course.
***ILS 490 is an optional 1-credit independent study option for peer mentors to receive course credit for their work during the fall semester.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
While mentoring first-time research mentees in Fall 2023, peer mentors are paid $14/hour for completing either 6 or 10 hours* of mentoring each week. Class time in Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 (if wanted) are not paid as these are 1-credit courses.
*Mentoring 3 first-time researchers = 6 hours; mentoring 5 first-time researchers = 10 hours.
You will submit your application through OURConnect. See the Application Guide for additional information on how to submit your information and what questions to answer and include.
Spring 2023 - A 1-credit, in-person course that meets once a week for 50 minutes.
Fall 2023 - Paid mentorship that includes weekly meetings with your peer mentees and participating as a TA for your mentees in their 1-credit online course. Weekly seminar discussions with program leaders and fellow peer mentors to discuss mentorship progress and challenges (potential 1-credit independent study available).