Purdue Undergrad Research Pitch Competition
Congratulations to the top presenters at this year's Undergraduate Research Pitch Competition!
What giant leaps are undergraduate researchers completing at Purdue? The Undergraduate Research Pitch Competition will highlight undergraduate researchers' projects while promoting concise and effective storytelling during this event celebrating undergraduate research.
Schedule of Events
7:30 pm: Doors open to the audience. (Note: You must be a Purdue student, staff, or faculty member to attend the live session per Protect Purdue guidelines.)
8:00-9:00 pm: Research Elevator Pitch Competition
9:00-9:10 pm: Judges Deliberate and Audience Favorite is Selected
Announcement of 2021-22 Undergraduate Research Society of Purdue Executive Board Members
9:10 pm (or when judges are done deliberating): Top Three Pitches and Audience Favorite are Announced
- 1st Place: $300 + Silver Dipper Free Scoop
- 2nd Place: $200 + Silver Dipper Free Scoop
- 3rd Place: $100 + Silver Dipper Free Scoop
- Audience Favorite: $100
- An audience favorite is determined by those in attendance and those watching the live stream selecting their favorite presentation with an online tool at the completion of the pitches and can be awarded to one of the top 3 winners, if chosen.
What is a "research pitch"?
A research pitch is a (very) short story describing your research project in a way that describes your work to an audience, usually a general audience. A research pitch is similar to an "elevator pitch," but focuses on your research project and experience instead of yourself to employers or graduate programs.
Who can enter?
The pitch competition is open to any currently enrolled Purdue University - West Lafayette undergraduate involved in research or creative endeavor in any major and discipline. Your work can be an independent project or one working with a research mentor.
How do I enter?
- Upload your three-minute research pitch to YouTube - for privacy, you can upload it and "unlist" the video so only those with the link can access it.
- The video submission can be as many slides or include whatever you would like.
- Here is an example research pitch that is prepared for selection: https://youtu.be/kgGMrThEhCM.
- The live event allows one PowerPoint slide, but your initial YouTube recording can be anything.
- Send the link of your research pitch via this Qualtrics form by Feb. 28 at 11:59pm to create the social media post. Submissions are closed.
How am I selected?
- The video submission along with the information provided in the Qualtrics form will create social media posts on the Undergraduate Research Society of Purdue's pages. Likes, shares, and retweets from March 2 - 9, 2021 will contribute 50% of your score.
- A panel of judges will rate your video submission and will contribute 50% of your score.
- The top 10 submissions will be announced by March 10, 2021.
Live Undergraduate Research Pitch Competition
- Presenters and audience members may present in-person in Fowler Hall or participate virtually.
- Participants are allowed one static PowerPoint slide during their talk.
- A panel of judges will evaluate the top ten three-minute pitches determined earlier through social media engagement and previous judges.
- The top three presenters and an audience favorite will be announced at the end of the event.
Are there awards?
- Awards are determined based on how much money can be raised through corporate and departmental giving to the competition. Awards will be distributed through the Division of Financial Aid.
- Currently: 1st place - $300, 2nd place - $200, 3rd place - $100, & Audience favorite - $100
- "Want to be a great storyteller? First, break these habits"
- Learn to condense your research story into a Three Minute Thesis
- Avoid "Death by PowerPoint"
- Prepare your own "TEDx Talk"
- Watch other undergraduate research pitch competition videos
Funded by SOGA
- Get Started
- Search Opportunities
- Online Course Series
- OUR Scholars
- What Current Undergraduate Researchers Are Saying
- Research Roundtable
- Undergrad Research Pitch Competition
- Get Published
- Market Your Research Experience
- Schedule an Appointment
- Undergraduate Research Society of Purdue