College of Agriculture Dean's Scholars
Open to first-year Agricultural Dean's Scholars only, the College of Agriculture Dean's Scholars Learning Community allows first-year students to live and interact with one another, ultimately providing them with the opportunity to make connections and support one another through this Learning Community. As a member of the Agricultural Dean's Scholars program, you will also participate in the Agricultural Dean's Scholars LC. The goal of this community is to enrich the first-year experience through learning opportunities both inside and outside of the classroom. Residents will live together in a residence hall and participate in activities designed for this Learning Community with faculty and staff. As one participant stated, "the Dean's Scholars LC is a valuable tool through which incoming students can meet faculty and staff and get to know them on a more personal basis. LC members can also connect to other students that have come from similar backgrounds and may have related goals. As a member of this LC, you will make connections with people you will cross paths with over and over again throughout your time at Purdue."
Students will be enrolled in a section of AGR 10100- Introduction to Agriculture and Purdue specifically designed for Dean's Scholars. AGR 10100 is intended to stimulate in-depth thinking about issues facing the current generation, about what agriculture really encompasses, about the various roles in agriculture, and why students are in the College of Agriculture at Purdue.
Students will use their knowledge to think about making the world better by addressing a societal issue through agriculture; previous issues discussed include hunger, water, sustainable agriculture, and most recently drought. Activities specific to the Learning Community include dinners with faculty members, horseback riding, and an Agribusiness Tour of Northwest Indiana, including Fair Oaks Dairy and Benton County Wind Farms.
- First-time beginning students in the College of Agriculture Dean’s Scholars Program
- This LC is available to Honors College participants; those students will live with the Honors College and participate in the events and activities of the LC. Honors College students will live in the Honors College residence hall
- OPTIONAL in Harrison Hall
- Your roommate in most cases will be a member of the LC, unless you are participating in the Honors College
- Completing a housing contract is a separate process from applying for the LC
Fall 2016 Semester
Events and Activities Included:
- Agribusiness Tour of Northwest Indiana, including Fair Oaks Dairy and Benton County Wind Farms
- Wolf Howl at Wolf Park
- Periodic meals with faculty members
- Study Breaks
- Opportunity to engage with faculty and staff working with the Dean's Scholars program
- Opportunity to network with experienced Agriculture alumni
Information above is subject to change. If you are placed in the LC, the associated courses will be on your schedule prior to you registering for the rest of your courses.