Information for Faculty & Staff

What to Do if You Are Approached for Help

As a member of Purdue University's faculty or staff, you are placed in a position of leadership and trust by many in the Purdue community.  You may be seen as a teacher, mentor, and an advisor. As a result, you are in the position of being able to offer help and advice to those who approach you. In addition to the guidelines on Supporting a Victim/Survivor, here are some suggestions to help someone cope with sexual assault.

  • Encourage him or her to get medical attention, even if there are no apparent injuries.
  • Suggest he or she contact a local crisis service. These services can provide support and may be able to send a trained representative to be with the individual through the entire process.
  • Advise him or her to discuss concerns with a counselor if the individual is struggling with emotional or psychological issues.
  • Encourage her or him to file a report by contacting the police.
  • Listen. This individual came to you for help and support in a difficult time. Be non-judgmental and try to help him or her or refer the individual to people who can help.
  • Don't promise total confidentiality. Only a counselor or certified health professional can promise total confidentiality.
  • Be understanding about absences. A student who has experienced sexual assault may miss classes for medical procedures, investigation meetings, or stress. Encourage students to communicate with the Office of the Dean of Students or you about missing class.
  • Understand that a student may be unwilling to return to your class due to the presence of an attacker. If necessary, the University will assist the student in making reasonable efforts to avoid contact with an alleged attacker(s) by adjusting workplace or academic arrangements and/or, in the case of a student, campus living arrangements.
  • Don't bring both parties together to attempt to resolve the issue. You should provide the necessary route for help by suggesting who the individual can contact, but do not attempt any mediation or conflict resolution on your own.
  • Report suspected sexual assault against children. Under Indiana Law, all persons over the age of 18 must report any suspected sexual assault against children, child abuse and child neglect to the police or Child Protective Services (800.800.5556). You may also report to campus police. In addition you may report anonymously through the Purdue University Hotline at 866.818.2620 or the Purdue University Hotline. Employees who make good faith disclosures are protected against retaliation by the Protection Against Reprisal for Good Faith Disclosures (Whistleblower Protection) policy.
  • File a federal Clery Act Report. If someone approaches you and informs you of a possible sexual assault, you must file a confidential report to comply with the federal Clery Act. To learn more about the federal Clery Act, please visit the Clery Center for Security on Campus website.

Reporting Process for Faculty and Staff

While the University encourages all campus community members to report incidents of harassment or discrimination, several classifications of employees have been identified as "mandatory reporters" for Title IX purposes. These employees have authority and responsibility to take action to remedy harassment. Examples of mandatory reporters include:

  • Vice presidents, vice chancellors, vice provosts, deans, department heads, directors and coaches
  • Employees in supervisory or management roles
  • Faculty members
  • Student affairs professionals
  • Residential life staff

Faculty and staff who wish to report Title IX incidents may do so online or in person to the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinators.

Mandatory reporters should review the Compliance Guides for Mandatory Reporters for their campus:

Compliance Guide for Mandatory Reporters: West Lafayette Campus
Compliance Guide for Mandatory Reporters: PNW-Hammond Campus
Compliance Guide for Mandatory Reporters: Fort Wayne Campus
Compliance Guide for Mandatory Reporters: PNW-Westville Campus

If You Have Been Sexually Assaulted

  • Follow the general information on what to do if you have been assaulted.
  • Seek medical care as soon as possible, even if you don't have any apparent injuries. For more on what to expect during a post-sexual assault exam, visit the seeking medical care page.
  • Contact the police to report the assault. For more to expect while filing a police report, visit the contacting the police page.
  • Seek emotional support to help sort out your feelings about the assault. You are encouraged to make use of the support services offered through your campus's Employee Assistance Program  and the Women's Resource Network. Men are also welcome to use the Women's Resource Network.
Report an Incident
Reporting Options
Advocacy Services


24-Hour Confidential Information and Support Hotline

Call anytime to speak with someone who can explain your options and connect you with resources.