phone icon


24-Hour Confidential Information and Support Hotline

Call anytime to speak with someone who can explain your options and connect you with resources.

Frequently Asked Questions about the University's Response

   What will happen if I report to the University?

By reporting the incident to the University, there are additional support options available work schedules, including help with academic problems, class schedules, financial aid, housing arrangements, transportation, and assistance in receiving health and counseling resources.  You are NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a University investigation in order to receive services. Our primary goal is to help you, and we will respect your decision to share, or not share, any aspect of the situation with us. Once the University has information that an incident has occurred, it has the responsibility to evaluate what steps can be taken to prevent its re-occurrence.

If the person who did this is not affiliated with Purdue University, the University’s primary response to the report of an incident will be focused on providing services to the victim/survivor and addressing any potential safety issues on campus.

   Is there a way to keep the person who did this away from me?

Yes. You have several options for keeping this person from contacting you.  If the Respondent is another student, the Office of the Dean of Students can send them what is known as a “no-contact directive,” which instructs this person that s/he can no longer have any form of contact, direct or indirect, with you.  If the Respondent chooses to violate this letter, s/he may face sanctions through the Office of the Dean of Students.

In addition, you can receive help from the local court system. Even without a formal report to the police, you may be eligible for a protective order from a judge directing this person not to contact you. Obtaining a protective order from the court is free, and our Student Support Advocate within the Office of the Dean of Students can help explain the process and accompany you to request the order if you wish.

   If I tell the University what happened, will my friends, parents, family, professors, etc., find out?

No. Only a few specially trained individuals will know that you reported to the University, and their goal is to help provide support and services to you or to conduct a confidential investigation. You are protected by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), which means that we cannot disclose information about your report to your family or friends without your written consent. If you request an academic change, your professors will only be told the minimum amount of information necessary to facilitate the change, and this will not include any details about your report. 

  What if I live in the same residence hall or apartment or have classes with the person who hurt me?

You have the right to feel safe in your living and classroom environment. If you live on-campus in the same residence hall as the Respondent who hurt you, we can help. We may be able to move the Respondent out of your housing community, or, if you choose, we can also move you to another housing community. If you live off-campus, there are options for you too. We may be able to provide you with temporary on-campus emergency housing or try to work with your off-campus landlord to take steps to help you feel safe. 

If you share classes or other University activities with the Respondent, we may be able to move that person or, if you choose, change your class schedule. These accommodations are provided with the highest level of privacy possible. An advocate in the Office of the Dean of Students or CARE is available to help you access these services. 

  Can I get help from the University without having to tell them who hurt me?

Yes. You are not required to provide additional information about the incident, including the name of the Respondent, or participate in a University investigation in order to receive services. We encourage you to share as much information as you are able and willing as it will better help us protect the entire campus community; however, we are here to help you, and we will respect your decision to share, or not share, any aspect of the situation with the University. 

  What if the person who hurt me is not affiliated with the University?

If the person who hurt you is not affiliated with Purdue, our primary response will focus on providing services and support to you. 

  If I report to the University, will I be forced to press criminal charges or participate in a University investigation?

No. Purdue recognizes that deciding whether to make a report either to us or to law enforcement can be very difficult decisions. If you are over the age of 18, you have the right to decide whether you want to contact law enforcement to pursue possible criminal charges, and we will not force you to do so. If you do elect to contact law enforcement, an advocate from The Advocacy and Support Center is available to support and accompany you during any legal process. 

The safety and well-being of our campus community members is always Purdue's highest priority in handling these matters, and Purdue may be required to take some action to protect you and other campus community members from harm. You, however, have the right not to participate in any University investigation or provide additional information if you choose. You may also request that your identity be withheld from the Respondent if the University does investigate the matter. Purdue will evaluate each request on a case-by-case basis, balancing a request for confidentiality or no action with the need to protect the safety of both you and the wider campus community. You should be aware that if you choose not to share information or participate in a University investigation, it may limit our ability to conduct a meaningful investigation; however, you will never be forced to participate in a University investigation if you do not wish to do so.

  Are there confidential places on campus where I can get help?

Yes. CARE, PUSH, and CAPS are confidential resources on campus where you can receive help and support without the University being informed of the incident. They are great resources to use if you know you do not want to report the incident or would like to discuss your options with a trained professional in a confidential setting. 

    Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

    2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by the Office of Institutional Equity  

    Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the Office of Institutional Equity at