Skip to main content

Science faculty win Purdue’s top research and teaching awards


College of Science faculty won two of Purdue University’s top three research awards this year

Mikhail Atallah, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science and professor of electrical and computer engineering, received the 2017 Arden L. Bement Jr. Award.

Jean A. Chmielewski, the Alice Watson Kramer Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and professor of biomedical engineering, received the 2017 Herbert Newby McCoy Award.

The awards are the most prestigious the University bestows in pure and applied science and engineering, and in the natural sciences, respectively. The University’s third top research honor is the Research and Scholarship Distinction Award, bestowed for contributions in the humanities and social sciences.

Atallah, who was recognized for his contributions in the design and implementation of efficient processing and security protections for computer-based technologies, will deliver the Arden L. Bement Jr. Distinguished Lecture at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 30 in Fowler Hall.

Chmielewski, who was recognized for her contributions in chemical biology and drug discovery, will deliver the McCoy Distinguished Lecture at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 30 in Fowler Hall.


Erica Carlson receives University’s highest undergraduate teaching honor

Erica Carlson, professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, received a 2017 Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award in Memory of Charles B. Murphy, the University’s highest undergraduate teaching honor.


The award includes $10,000 and induction into Purdue's Teaching Academy, which provides leadership for the improvement of undergraduate, graduate and outreach teaching.


Purdue University College of Science, 150 N. University St, West Lafayette, IN 47907 • Phone: (765) 494-1729, Fax: (765) 494-1736

Student Advising Office: (765) 494-1771, Fax: (765) 496-3015 • Science IT, (765) 494-4488

© 2021 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science Webmaster.