Skip to main content

Grade Appeals

The grade appeals process used by undergraduate and graduate students wishing to appeal grades they have received in their coursework is described in Student Regulations (E. Grade Appeals System). The grade appeals system affords recourse to a student who has evidence or believes that evidence exists to show that an inappropriate grade has been assigned as a result of prejudice, caprice, or other improper conditions such as mechanical error, or assignment of a grade inconsistent with those assigned to other students. Additionally, a student may challenge the reduction of a grade for alleged scholastic dishonesty.

Informal attempts must be made to resolve grade grievances and appeals at the lowest possible level - through the course instructor, the department head, or other informal procedures outlined by the college/school and/or department in which the course was taught. If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of this process, they may file a College-level Grade Appeal by contacting Edward Bartlett at or Kelley Farrell at

Please note: the informal process described here and College-level appeal must be accomplished within 30 calendar days after the start of the regular semester following the one in which the questioned grade was given.

Purdue University College of Science, 150 N. University St, West Lafayette, IN 47907 • Phone: (765) 494-1729, Fax: (765) 494-1736

Student Advising Office: (765) 494-1771, Fax: (765) 496-3015 • Science IT, (765) 494-4488

© 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | DOE Degree Scorecards

Trouble with this page? Accessibility issues? Please contact the College of Science.