Course Narrative - Expiring a Course

Initiator (Department/Faculty) decides to expire a course

Which campus is this course being expired from?

  1. PWL - Purdue West Lafayette
  2. PNC - Purdue North Central
  3. PUC - Purdue University Calumet
  4. PFW - Purdue Fort Wayne
  5. PIU - IUPUI
  6. CEC - West Lafayette Continuing Ed
  7. TAN - Anderson
  8. TCO - Columbus
  9. TDY - Indianapolis
  10. TKO - Kokomo
  11. TLF -  Lafayette
  12. TNA - New Albany
  13. TRI -  Richmond
  14. TSB - South Bend
  15. TVN - Vincennes

Initiator will check that the course:

  1. Is or isn't required on a Plan of Study?
  2. Is or isn't a prerequisite?
  3. Is or isn't an equivalent for another course? 

Check if it is an Equivalent Course
There are only three instances that would allow equivalence:

  1. Renumbering of a course
  2. Change in course subject
  3. Cross-listed courses

Equivalents are term dependent. Enter the equivalent subject, course number, start term and end term. Ex: AGRY 25500 and NRES 25500 are cross listed courses and they are equivalent. These courses are the same exact course; however they have a different subject abbreviation for student registration. A student cannot obtain credit in both instances of these courses towards GPA calculation.

Office of the Registrar reviews request

Office of the Registrar sends to other campus or other department, if necessary

  1. If not, send to originating department

Send to Department Head or designee for approval

Send to Dean or designee for signature for approval

Office of the Registrar for final review

Office of the Registrar expires course in SIS

Notice sent to all departments and campuses involved, including advisor listserv

Email is sent to Janet Siefers/Credit Evaluation, if an attribute of CTL (Core Transfer Library) is on the course

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at