Residence Classification Information for Military Servicemembers

There are three ways Purdue provides in-state residence classification for military servicemembers and their families. Students who are Eligible Active Duty United States Military Personnel, Eligible Indiana National Guard Personnel, Qualified Veterans, or qualified individuals using transferred GI Bill benefits may be eligible for Resident status for tuition purposes. The criteria for each these categories are maintained by the Office of the Registrar on the West Lafayette campus.

1.    The Residence Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes policy (II.D.1).

  • Any non-resident, full-time, active duty United States military member (or their dependents), assigned to active duty in the state of Indiana and attending Purdue University is eligible for Resident status.
  • A copy of the authorized duty orders, a driver’s license, and a completed Residence Classification Information for Tuition Purposes form must be provided to the Registrar’s Office. 

2.    United States Military Veterans, Indiana National Guard, and United States Military Reserves (SEA-177).

  • Qualified United States military and Indiana National Guard honorably discharged veterans and current Eligible Indiana National Guard and United States Reserve members are eligible for Resident status for tuition purposes at Purdue University based on Indiana Senate Enrolled Act 177, effective July 1, 2013 and updated in 2015, now codified at IC 21-14-12.2-1 et seq.  Purdue’s general approach to SEA 177 Implementation is maintained by the Office of the Registrar on the West Lafayette campus.
  • A student seeking resident tuition at Purdue University based on SEA 177 must submit a completed residence classification form, and all required supporting documents. They must also provide to Purdue no later than 12 months after the date of enrollment at the University, proof that he/she obtained an Indiana driver’s license or state identification card; or registered his/her motor vehicle in Indiana; or registered to vote in Indiana.

3.    The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 and 2017 Choice Act Updates.

A student seeking in-state tuition under the Choice Act must be using GI Bill entitlement for the term in which their resident status will be evaluated.  The in-state tuition provisions in Section 417 do not apply to those individuals on active duty who are using benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty.  In order to determine your eligibility under the Choice Act, please contact the Veterans Success Center.  They can be reached by phone: 765-494-7638 or email:

  • Section 702 of Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014:
    • (Veterans) Provides in-state tuition for veterans and their dependents using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or the Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) within three years of discharge from an active duty period of 90 days or more and with certain qualifying circumstances.
  • Section 417 of Public Law 114-315 Amendment to Section 702:
    • (Active Duty) Provides in-state tuition for dependents who live in the state in which the public institute of higher learning is located and are using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits while the transferor (Servicemember) is on active duty.
    • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
  • Necessary documents for review under the Choice Act classification include:
    • Completed Choice Act Residency Application Form available from Veterans Success Center.
    • For Section 702: Most recent DD-214, Member 4 for the veteran who earned the GI Bill entitlement to be used.
    • For Section 417: a copy of proof of active duty of the servicemember/transfer or
    • Proof of an Indiana address, such as a housing contract, lease agreement, or mortgage.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at