Residence Classification Information for Military Servicemembers

There are three ways Purdue provides in-state residence classification for military servicemembers and their families.  

1.    The Residence Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes policy (II.D.1).

  • Indiana residents and their dependent children who leave Indiana for reasons such as employment reassignment (normally not to exceed four years) may maintain Resident status, provided they continue their domicile in Indiana while away from the state.
  • Any non-resident, full-time, active duty United States military member, or their dependents, assigned to active duty in the state of Indiana qualify for in-state tuition.  A copy of the authorized active duty orders, a driver’s license, and a completed Residence Classification Information for Tuition Purposes form must be provided to the Registrar’s Office.

2.    United States Military Veterans, Indiana National Guard, and United States Military Reserves (SEA-177).

  • United States military and Indiana National Guard honorably discharged veterans and current Indiana National Guard members are eligible for resident tuition purposes at Purdue University based on Indiana Senate Enrolled Act 177, effective July 1, 2013. Please refer to Purdue's general approach to SEA 177 implementation and required steps for seeking eligibility for residence tuition under Indiana law.

3.    The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, Section 702.

  • Provides in-state tuition for veterans and their family members using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or the Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) with certain qualifying circumstances.  For more information visit Residence Classification under the Choice Act, Section 702.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at