Cost Comparison Requirements
Travelers with an approved travel waiver are expected to book travel in Concur or utilize Anthony Travel, the University’s travel agent. Employees are encouraged to use Concur for all travel. If a traveler finds cheaper travel and accommodations outside of Concur or Anthony Travel, he/she may accept that option and keep the supporting documentation to include in the expense report reimbursement.Cost comparisons are not required for domestic trips (United States and U.S. Territories).
- The maximum reimbursable amount allowed for domestic travel (inside the continental United States) is $400. This includes personal travel, personal destination and drive vs. fly.
- Purdue Travel based this on the average ticket costs reporting by the US Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
- Cost comparisons must be obtained from Concur or Anthony Travel and must meet the below requirements:
- If the personal travel is less than three (3) days before or after the business trip, no comparison is required. Any days over three (3) require a comparison.
- The cost comparison submitted must be for the direct route to and from the business location for the days of business.
- Any personal travel outside of the business location is not reimbursable regardless of the number of personal days.
- Be obtained BEFORE the trip
- Best Practice: Get at the same time airfare is purchased or travel request completed
- Not be limited to search results from a single airline
- Show available flights and airlines generally with one stopover
- Show business travel to and from the business destination for the days of business only
- Should not be one-way ticket
- Copy of a co-worker's airfare itinerary/receipt who attended the same business event with no personal or other travel destinations involved.
- A written statement from Anthony that comparison obtained prior to the trip
- In the event a traveler has not provided a required comparison, the Business Office or Purdue Travel will obtain the comparison.
- The amount of travel expenses reimbursed when a cost comparison is required is the lesser of the cost comparison or actual expense amount.