Purdue University, one of the nation's most highly respected land-grant research universities, announces a search to recruit its 12th President.
Founded in 1869, Purdue University is an Association of American Universities (AAU), Big Ten Conference, land-grant university system with four campuses. Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country's top 25 public universities, Purdue enjoys worldwide acclaim for the quality of its teaching and research in a wide range of fields.
On the West Lafayette campus alone, the University offers some 5,300 courses in more than 350 specializations, organized through 12 undergraduate colleges/schools and the Graduate School. Approximately 40,000 students are enrolled at the West Lafayette campus, while some 35,000 others pursue degree work at four regional campuses and 10 Statewide Technology education sites. Its graduates — including more than 426,000 living alumni around the globe — have explored the surface of the moon, quarterbacked Super Bowl Championship teams, excelled in a range of corporate, artistic, educational, technical, and scientific pursuits, and received honors ranging from the Oscar to the Nobel Prize.
More than 18,200 people work at Purdue campuses and facilities statewide, with 15,500 being faculty and staff on the West Lafayette campus. Purdue's annual operating budget is approximately $2 billion. Sponsored research expenditures on the West Lafayette campus exceed $550 million. The current value of the Purdue endowment is approximately $2 billion.
The President reports directly to the Board of Trustees and is the chief executive officer of the institution. It is expected that the next President will be a person of creative vision, relentless energy, and unquestioned integrity. The selected person will possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, have a passion for the mission of educating students, be a champion of diversity, and be able to attract appropriate financial resources to support the University's strategic plan and its ambitious goals. The President will accelerate positive change and improvement in this dynamic and complex organization and will have strategic knowledge of the role and mission of a dynamic major research university in an ever-changing world.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the President is the chief executive officer of the university and is responsible for the overall effective administration and strategic leadership of the institution. Working with the Board, Cabinet, Deans, faculty, and staff, the President will work to serve the land-grant mission of "teaching, research, and service" and to ensure that the highest quality of education is afforded to all of Purdue's students.
The President is responsible for an exciting, challenging and complex portfolio of duties and objectives. This is an opportunity to lead one of the most highly respected major land-grant research universities in the nation and to be a leading spokesperson for higher education in Indiana and throughout the country. Among the responsibilities and duties the new President will have are to:
- Be a relentless advocate of excellence in all Purdue undertakes and a tireless supporter of students, faculty, and staff in their efforts to educate, research, and serve the interests of the University.
- Improve academic reputation through student success.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees and implement the policies and programs they develop and/or approve. Keep the Board informed and communicate with the Chair and members regularly. Make recommendations to the Board relative to the enhancement of the institution.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and direction to the management team composed of: Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost; Executive Vice President for Business and Finance, Treasurer; Executive Director of Strategic Planning and Assessment; Vice President for Research; Vice President for Information Technology; Vice President for Marketing and Media; Vice President for Development; Vice President for Ethics and Compliance; Vice President for Public Affairs; Vice President for Student Affairs; Vice President for Human Resources; Vice President for Physical Facilities; and the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Assure the ongoing financial strength and viability of the University through prudent management of available resources, development of additional resources, and optimizing the business structure to meet current and future economic conditions.
- Lead and actively participate in fund- and friend-raising on behalf of the University. This includes not only capital campaigns and annual fund activities, but also lobbying with the legislature, seeking grants from appropriate corporate and government agencies, soliciting gifts from individual donors and corporate foundations, and all revenue raising activities.
- Be an involved and active participant in community affairs and economic development. Work with community leaders on initiatives that will improve the relationship between the University and West Lafayette, Lafayette, and the state and will benefit both the school and communities.
- Champion greater diversity in the ranks of the student body, faculty, and staff.
- Represent Purdue to all of its local, state, national, and international audiences, including representing the University in national education and research associations and entities such as the Association of American Universities (AAU), Association of Public land-grant Universities (APLU), National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other important organizations.
- Maintain institutional control over the University's vibrant and thriving Division I NCAA Intercollegiate Athletics Program. Assure adherence to all NCAA rules and guidelines and reinforce Purdue's reputation as an ethical practitioner as it relates to the athletic program and student athletes and their families.
- Support and encourage a world-class faculty and researchers in their pursuit of enlightening students and creating new knowledge. Support research and academic programs to achieve the strategic goals of the University, and engage faculty and staff in maintaining a vital and relevant academic vision and strategy for Purdue.
- Plan strategically to position the University to be at the cutting edge of education and research from a curricular and programmatic perspective.
- Be the chief cheerleader promoting Purdue and its interests to all audiences, including ranking and rating agencies and the public at large.
- Cultivate and nurture an environment that attracts the highest-quality and highest-performing faculty, staff, and students. Lead a work environment in which participation, respect, transparency and excellence are fostered; establish and promote professional relationships and open communication. Reward demonstrated ability and accomplishment and hire and reward on the basis of merit.
- Encourage and nurture collaborative and interdisciplinary relationships among the colleges and schools within Purdue, as well as with other institutions and partners.
Nomination and Application Process
While applications and nominations will be accepted until a new President is selected, interested parties are encouraged to submit their materials to our consulting firm at the address below by Nov. 1 to assure optimal consideration. Please address materials to:
PURDUE PRESIDENT SEARCH
R. William Funk & Associates
100 Highland Park Village, Suite 200
Dallas, Texas 75205
Purdue University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
|Mike Berghoff, Chair
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
President and CEO, Purdue Alumni Association
Chancellor, Purdue North Central
Associate Department Head, Department of Agricultural Economics
Past President, Purdue Student Government
Dean, College of Health and Human Sciences
Don and Carol Scifres Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
|Mark J.T. Smith
Dean of the Graduate School and Birck Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
W. Brooks Fortune Professor of Chemistry
President, R. William Funk & Associates
EventsPurdue Events RSS feeds