September 5, 2017
To the Purdue community,
I am pleased to share that today marks the start of the search for Purdue’s next Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Diversity. Kathleen Howell, Associate Dean for Engineering and Hsu Lo Distinguished Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, has graciously agreed to chair a search committee that comprises the members listed below.
Given the wealth of talent among Purdue’s faculty, the search will be open solely to Purdue faculty holding the rank of professor or distinguished professor. The position description makes plain that the provost is expected to be an effective and collaborative leader whose commitment to Purdue’s long-term success is apparent in a record of scholarship, teaching and engagement. That leader must be focused on concluding the implementation of the Purdue Moves and on advancing Purdue’s rapidly heightening reputation as a nationally renowned, STEM-focused hub of innovation in higher education. The provost must be dedicated to the strength and support of Purdue’s diverse and inclusive community and be committed to maintaining equal opportunity for its members. The provost must have ambitious ideas and the collaborative ability to achieve clear results.
The position description can be viewed here. Faculty who wish to apply for the position are asked to send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org. Until finalists are selected, all applications will remain confidential. The committee will begin vetting applications on September 19.
Each finalist will participate in a public forum, the dates, times and locations of which will be announced via Purdue Today. I’ve asked the committee to deliver a slate of acceptable candidates to me upon conclusion of the public forums.
Search committee members are:
- Kathleen Howell (Chair), Associate Dean for Engineering and Hsu Lo Distinguished Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Willie Reed, Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Mike Atallah, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science and Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (courtesy)
- Barrett Caldwell, Professor of Industrial Engineering
- Natalia Dudareva, Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry and Distinguished Professor of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
- Marcela Martinez, Chair of Purdue Graduate Student Government
- Loran Carleton Parker, Ph.D., Associate Director and Senior Researcher and Evaluator, Evaluation and Learning Research Center and APSAC Chair
- R. Allen Bol, Assistant, Libraries and CSSAC Chair
I encourage each of you to be fully part of this search process. You may provide comments and suggestions to a search committee member or send confidential email to email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Purdue’s future.
- Message regarding review of Camp DASH
- Provost announcement from President Daniels
- Message from President Daniels announcing new Fort Wayne Chancellor
- Purdue Reiterates Support for DACA
- Message announcing the search for Purdue's next provost
- Welcome Back Message from President Daniels and Interim Provost Akridge
- A Message from President Daniels about Deba Dutta
- President Daniels issues statement, guidance regarding executive order on immigration