April 6, 2017
To the Purdue Community,
It is with very mixed emotions that I let you know of the upcoming departure of one of our finest senior leaders.
Just moments ago, our provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and diversity, Deba Dutta, was named Chancellor of Rutgers University – New Brunswick. Deba’s new assignment will become effective on July 1, but he will remain at Purdue through June 30.
Deba came to our university in 2014 and accomplished much during his tenure with us. He has made an enormous and positive difference for Purdue and has proven himself an effective change agent in a sector where such people are scarce. Immensely talented leaders often attract the attention of others and so it is in this case. I know you share my happiness for Deba, but also my sense of regret in having to say farewell to a colleague for whom I have great respect and admiration.
While the departure of our provost is a loss to our university, it is with gratitude that I relay that Jay Akridge, the Glenn W. Sample Dean of Agriculture, has agreed to serve as interim provost and with equal excitement I can announce that Karen Plaut, Senior Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Affairs, will serve as interim dean for the College of Agriculture. An internal search for a new provost will commence at the beginning of the next academic year.
Mitchell E. Daniels, Jr.
- Message regarding review of Camp DASH
- Provost announcement from President Daniels
- Message from President Daniels announcing new Fort Wayne Chancellor
- Purdue Reiterates Support for DACA
- Message announcing the search for Purdue's next provost
- Welcome Back Message from President Daniels and Interim Provost Akridge
- A Message from President Daniels about Deba Dutta
- President Daniels issues statement, guidance regarding executive order on immigration