Clerical and Service Staff Employment Period (VPBS 154)


July 13, 1973

To: Deans, Directors, Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments, and Offices


Clerical and Service Staff Employment Period


Although the normal employment period for most clerical and service staff is 12 months, our current policies will allow employment for less than 12 months. It was discovered recently that this fact was not well known by employing supervisors and that the procedures to be followed for such appointments had not been set forth in writing.

At the suggestion of the Personnel Administration Advisory Committee, the purpose of this memorandum is to clarify the employment alternatives for clerical and service staff and to set forth the procedures to be followed for employment of less than 12 months. Of course, it must be recognized that such employment will depend upon finding qualified employees willing to accept this reduced period of employment. Also, it should be understood that in many cases clerical and service staff with employment periods of less than 12 months will be eligible to receive unemployment benefits, the cost of which must be paid by the University. The alternative costs must be considered carefully. (Refer to Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer's Memorandum No. 150, 28 February 1973, Lay-off and Reduction-in-Force Policies for Clerical and Service Staff; and unnumbered memorandum, 1 July 1971, Unemployment Insurance Coverage for Purdue University Staff Members.)


The employment of members of the clerical and service staff shall be on either a Regular or a Temporary basis.

Regular employees are those in continuing positions which are:

  • 50.0% or more of a normal work week for a 12-month period.
  • 54.6% or more of a normal work week for an 11-month period.
  • 60.0% or more of a normal work week for a 10-month period.
  • 66.7% or more of a normal work week for a 9-month period.

Regular employees may be subject to short layoffs.

Those employees whose work schedules do not meet the criteria established for Regular will be classified as Temporary. All student employees are classified as Temporary.


Establishment of Nine, Ten, or Eleven-Month Regular Clerical and Service Staff Positions

The employing department must be certain that manpower requirements can be reduced. To establish a nine, ten, or eleven-month Regular position it is necessary to show in the position classification code the length of employment (09, 10, or 11 months) immediately following the staff letter designation (C--Clerical or S--Service), e.g., 0012C09, 8615S10, or 0012Cll.

Nine, ten, or eleven-month positions may be established either during the period of budget preparation by changing position codes on the budget work sheets or during the year by processing President's Form 10B, Payroll Change (Biweekly Staff).

Regular clerical and service staff members shall be eligible for staff benefits as listed in Exhibit A. For those employed for less than 12-month periods, payroll deductions for coverage under the group insurance program will be made during 18 consecutive pay periods, beginning with the first pay period in the academic year. Special deduction arrangement will be made for those appointments that do not coincide with the academic year.

For budget purposes the following number of hours will be used to define the annual wage of nine, ten, eleven, or twelve-month employees (on the basis of 80 hours per biweekly pay period):

  • 12 months = 2080 hours (26 pay periods)
  • 11 months = 1920 hours (24 pay periods)
  • 10 months = 1760 hours (22 pay periods)
  • 9 months = 1520 hours (19 pay periods)

Any questions regarding the employment of clerical and service staff on a regular basis should be directed to your Business Administrator or Business Representative or the Manager of Wage and Salary Administration, Department of Personnel Administration, for the West Lafayette Campus, and your local Personnel Manager or Business Manager for the Regional Campuses.

F. R. Ford
Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer


Summary of Staff Benefits for Regular Clerical and Service Staff with 12-month, 11-month, 10-month, or 9-month Appointments

Employees in Regular employment status are eligible for and required to participate in the following University staff benefit programs:

NOTE: for items 1-4--Those employed for less than a full 12-month year are covered under group insurance plans during non-work periods. Coverage is for 12 months, but the deductions are made on an 18 consecutive pay period basis.

  1. Group Medical Security Plan
  2. Group Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
  3. Group Long Term Disability Plan
  4. Personal Accident Insurance (optional)
  5. Social Security
  6. Public Employees Retirement Fund
  7. Vacation (If employed less than full time (2080 hours), accrual of vacation is in proportion to time paid).
  8. Sick Leave (If employed less than full time (2080 hours), accrual of sick leave is in proportion to time paid).
  9. Holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day require pay status either before or after the holiday to be eligible for pay. those employed for less tahn full time (2080 hours) are eligible for paid holidays in proportion to time paid. (Refer to Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer Memorandum No. 151, dated June 21, 1972.)
  10. Jury Duty, Funderal Leave, and Oher Leaves with Pay (Those employed for less than full time (2080 hours) are eligible for pay in proportion to time paid in a normally scheduled work week.
  11. Leaves withiout Pay
  12. Workmen's Compensation
  13. Unemployment Compensation Insurance
  14. Miscellaneous special staff services or benefits

Refer to pertinent memoranda and the Business Procedures Manual for full details on the policies and procedures for staff benefit programs.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2017 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by University Policy Office

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact University Policy Office at