University staff may rent fleet vehicles for approved university activities throughout the United States and Canada.
All staff renting vehicles must bring an original Form 1 signed by their business office or department head, dean or director, and a valid U.S. or Canadian driver's license.
Estimates will be provided upon request (494-2114). Estimates will be based on your planned trip. Charges are based on actual miles and usage.
Vehicles and Services
- Pick-up Truck
- Pick-up Truck with topper
See the current rates.
To make a reservation the following information will be required:
- Type of Vehicle Desired and Any Special Needs
- Driver's Name
- Departure Date and Time (See Pickup Times Below)
- Return Date and Time
- Estimated Total Miles
- Number of Passengers
- Caller's Name, Phone Number and Department
- Towing/Hitch Required – See Towing Below
Make Reservations as far in advance as possible. Reservations can be made by the following options:
- Call 494-2114
- Due to the limited number of trucks available, reservations cannot be made by fax or email.
A Form 1 (Purdue University Vehicle Request) with original signatures is required at the time of pickup before the vehicle will be released.
- Charges are per day and per mile, plus parking, tolls and miscellaneous.
- Daily and long term arrangements are available. Long term rental arrangements are available for a period of three months or longer. Call 494-2114 for more details and current rates.
Parking and Tolls
Parking and tolls, with receipts, are reimbursed to the driver and recharged to the renting department.
If a towing vehicle is requested with plans to tow, please review Guidelines for Towing a Trailer and complete a Weight Specifications/Verification Worksheet, please call 494-2114 to have towing request reviewed by Shop Manager prior to reservation The towing charge will be added to the per mile charge of a vehicle when that vehicle is towing a trailer or other equipment. Income from this mileage charge will offset the additional fuel, maintenance, set-up and repair expenses incurred when equipment is towed.
Miscellaneous charges include additional cleaning and/or repairs as required.
Notify Transportation Service of any changes regarding the scheduled trip, or to confirm reservations (494-2114).
Notification of trip cancellations must be phoned in at least 24 hours prior to the planned the vehicle pick-up time specified.
Driver Qualification and Authorization
- All persons who will operate a Vehicle on University business or for any other University purpose must meet the Qualification Requirements and Procedures Application to all drivers as outlined in section 1.1 in the Vehicle Use Policy.
- Vehicle Use Policy (PDF) - Link will be added when Policy is approved.
The Form 1 requires a driver's certification. By signing for the vehicle and noting the state and expiration of the operator's license, the driver certifies:
- Possession of a valid United States or Canadian driver's license.
- Only approved drivers, who meet all requirements, are authorized to drive the vehicle.
- The vehicle will be used only for approved university business.
- The vehicle will be driven in accordance with state and local laws and regulations, and in a courteous manner that represents Purdue University.
Pick Up Times
- The Transportation Service office is open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 7:00 am to 10:00 am on Saturday.
- For trips beginning before 7:00am Tuesday through Saturday, vehicles can be picked up between 5:00pm and 6:00pm the night before.
- For trips departing between 11:00am Saturday and 7:00am Monday, vehicles can be picked up between 7:00am and 11:00am on the preceding Saturday.
Note: Transportation Service office hours are adjusted around University holidays. Please call if your departure time is near an official University holiday.
Vehicle Return Procedure
- Vehicles should be returned to Transportation Service by the date and time stated on the Form 1.
- Park the vehicle in the lot to the south of Physical Facilities Service Building (PFSB).
- Check interior and trunk for personal items. Items found will be kept at TMB for two weeks before sending them to Central Lost and Found.
- The fuel tank does not need to be returned full.
- During office hours bring the odometer reading (not the trip meter) into the office along with any parking or toll receipts.
- After office hours place key case in the drop box (located to the right of main office door).
- Alert Transportation staff of any mechanical problems, or other concerns you have regarding the vehicle.
- Report accidents, or damage to the vehicle immediately .
How to Rent Purdue Transportation Vehicles