May 3, 2023
Purdue police warn of thefts from unlocked vehicles
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind – Purdue University police are reminding people to keep their vehicles locked after a string of recent vehicle break-ins in the Tower Acres neighborhood north of campus.
Police received 12 reports on Tuesday (May 2), with incidents occurring between late evening Monday (May 1) and early morning Tuesday. The thefts targeted unlocked vehicles. Cash was stolen, along with a purse in one incident.
Purdue police provide these tips to keep property safe:
- Always lock your vehicle, close all windows and sunroof, and take your keys.
- Never hide your key on or in the vehicle or leave them on tabletops or desks.
- Park in well-lit areas with plenty of pedestrian traffic.
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- Always set your emergency brake and turn wheel into the curb to deter theft by tow truck.
- Use car alarm or other antitheft devices.
Anyone with information about the break-ins or wishing to report a theft should contact Purdue police at 765-494-8221 or West Lafayette police.
Media contact: Tim Doty, firstname.lastname@example.org