June 30, 2021
Agriculture workshops set for military veterans
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Indiana AgrAbility, hosted at Purdue University, will share agriculture opportunities and resources for military veterans at two Veteran Farmer Workshop and Indiana AgVets updates this summer. Veterans interested in or already involved with agriculture are encouraged to join to learn, network and enjoy time with fellow veterans.
At 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET, Friday (July 2), the first workshop will be held at Ivy Tech Community College Student Life Center in Fort Wayne. Hosts for this event include the Ivy Tech Fort Wayne Agriculture Program, Purdue Extension and AgrAbility staff and the Farmer Veteran Coalition – Indiana Chapter.
Topics covered at Friday’s event will be:
- Overview and tour of Ivy Tech agriculture facilities.
- Introduction to AgrAbility.
- Extension and other resources for veteran and beginning farmers.
- Farmer Veteran Coalition programs and opportunities.
- Indiana AgVets certification and internship program.
At noon to 4 p.m. E, July 15, Purdue Extension educators from Vanderburgh and Posey counties and the Hoosier Uplands Economic Development Corporation will host the event at the Vanderburgh 4-H Center, 201 E. Boonville-New Harmony Road, Evansville, Participants are also invited to attend the Soil and Water Conservation District’s (SWCD) of Southwest Indiana Conservation cookout immediately following the workshop at the same location.
Topics covered at the July 15 event will be:
- Indiana Grown and Homegrown by Heroes.
- Purdue Extension resources for veteran and beginning farmers.
- Direct marketing and agritourism opportunities.
- USDA programs for farmer veterans (FSA, NRCS).
- AgrAbility, Farmer Veteran Coalition, Indiana AgVets updates.
The workshops are free, and lunch will be provided. Registration is required for all participants. Spouses and significant others are welcome. Contact Edward Sheldon at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the events.
Fort Wayne registration.
SWCD Conservation cookout registration.
Writer: Abby Leeds, 765-494-7817, email@example.com
Source: Edward Sheldon, firstname.lastname@example.org
Agricultural Communications: 765-494-8415;
Maureen Manier, Department Head, email@example.com