May 16, 2019
Purdue to hold public hearing for tuition and fee proposals
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University will conduct a public hearing on Wednesday (May 29, 2019) on proposed tuition and fees to be paid by students attending the university’s West Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Hammond and Westville campuses during the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years.
The proposal calls for the following:
West Lafayette Campus
- 0% tuition increase.
- Flight Program fees (fiscal year 2020 – 3% average increase; FY21 – 5.6% average increase).
- 1.65% per year tuition increase for each of Purdue Fort Wayne and Purdue Northwest.
- Fort Wayne will introduce two additional changes:
- International tuition ($24.90 per credit hour; or $373.50 per semester for undergraduates and $31.57 per credit hour for graduates).
- College of Visual and Performing Arts differential fee ($25 per credit hour for undergraduates and $31.57 per credit hour for graduates; 2-year phase-in, 50% per year)
There will be no general tuition and fee increase on the West Lafayette campus, and the increases on the Flight Program will be used to offset equipment replacement and repairs. The increases at the Fort Wayne and Northwest campuses will be used to fund the operating budget, including faculty and staff salaries and benefits, scholarships, supplies, services and repair and rehabilitation.
The public hearing will begin at 11 a.m. EDT (10 a.m. CDT) in Room G52 of Stewart Center, on the West Lafayette campus (STEW G52). The public will have a chance to comment during the meeting, and a videoconference connection also will allow public input from Purdue's regional campuses. A summary of the fee proposal is available online.
Those wishing to speak at the hearing should notify the Office of Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer in advance at 765-494-9705 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Each speaker will be scheduled in the order they register and allotted three minutes to make comments at the hearing.
Written comments also may be submitted via email or sent to the Office of Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer, Hovde Hall, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907.
Anyone wanting to offer testimony at one of the statewide campuses should contact that campus for directions to the videoconference location. Those locations are:
* Purdue Northwest - Hammond Campus: Lawshe Hall, Room 131.
* Purdue Northwest – Westville Campus: Library-Student-Faculty Building (LSF), Room 002.
* Purdue Fort Wayne – Science Building, Room 176.
The Purdue Board of Trustees will review comments from the hearing and vote on the tuition and fee proposals at its next stated meeting on June 14, 2019.