January 10, 2018
Purdue expert: Get creative when beginning a new workout program
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Millions of people made a resolution to get healthier in the new year, and a Purdue University expert says there are a few important steps they should take to ensure they meet their fitness goals in 2018.
“Our journey to optimal health and fitness is not a destination, it is a way of life,” Ledman said. “It should be a constant pursuit to better one’s self in all dimensions of health.”
Ledman offers these eight tips for adopting a new exercise program:
• Determine your goals.
• Have fun and get creative in finding something you enjoy doing.
• Schedule your exercise sessions.
• Monitor intensity to ensure optimal health and performance benefits.
• Know your limitations and progress, and increase intensity in a smart way.
• Find a workout buddy.
• Eat well and get an appropriate amount of rest.
• Get clearance from a physician if you have health concerns and advice from an expert if you are attempting new techniques.
Current recommendations for aerobic exercise are 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity exercise, or 75 minutes per week of vigorous intensity exercise. Strength training should be conducted two or more days a week and cover all major muscle groups – usually between eight and 10 exercises – with one or more sets of 8-12 repetitions to begin.
“It’s important to remember, when it comes to exercise, some is better than none, and more is better than some,” Ledman said. “These recommendations are a goal and not necessarily a realistic starting point for all, especially those who are just now taking steps to get in better shape.”
Ledman is available for interviews on this subject, as well as fitness trends and exercising in cold weather.
Writer: Tim Doty, 765-496-2571, email@example.com
Source: Cassandra Ledman, 765-494-3159, firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Journalists: Ledman is available for interviews in person and via phone and Facetime. Please contact Tim Doty, 765-496-2571, email@example.com, to schedule.