Entrepreneurship Week celebrates startup successes
September 23, 2015
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — An idea competition, panel discussions, networking events and a celebrity keynote by "Shark Tank" personality Daymond John are planned for this year's Entrepreneurship Week (Oct. 5-9) at Purdue University.
The events are geared toward aspiring entrepreneurs with special emphasis on startup resources available to the Purdue University and Greater Lafayette communities.
The collection of activities is collaboratively planned and sponsored by Purdue's Krannert School of Management, The Purdue Foundry and The Anvil.
Entrepreneurship Week events include:
* Oct. 5. Demo Day at The Anvil. Discover concepts and business plans created by 5-10 clients involved with the student-run co-working space. Attendees will vote for their favorite business idea with the winning student team receiving access to a private event with "Shark Tank" TV personality and entrepreneur Daymond John. The student demonstrations are 4-6 p.m. Free. The Anvil, 320 North St., West Lafayette.
* Oct. 6. Women in Entrepreneurship Luncheon at the Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship. The keynote speaker is Karen Griffith Gryga, a venture capitalist and investor, currently with DreamIt Ventures. Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship. The event is invitation only.
* Oct. 7. Verge at MatchBOX Coworking Studio. Meet Paroon Chadha, CEO and co-founder of Passageways and a Krannert School of Management graduate. The event will include networking, pitches from two local start-up founders, food and drink, and a "fireside chat" with Chadha and a business plan pitch from two local startup founders. 7-9 p.m. Free. MatchBOX Coworking Studio, 17 S. Sixth St., Lafayette.
* Oct. 8. Krannert School of Management Leadership Speakers Series. Daymond John, founder of apparel company FUBU and TV personality on ABC's "Shark Tank," will give the keynote address. Purdue President Mitch Daniels and Krannert Dean David Hummels will offer comments and present awards. To purchase tickets, contact Lou Underwood, Krannert assistant director of alumni relations and special events, at 765-494-0901, email@example.com. More information about the Leadership Series and this year's event is available at http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/events/LSS/ 6:30-9 p.m. Purdue Memorial Union ballrooms.
* Oct. 9. Guest speaker Julie Wainwright, founder and CEO of online retailer TheRealReal.com will talk about her entrepreneurial successes during two separate events. She will speak at 8 a.m. at the Foundry Grounds in the Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship, and at 11:30 a.m. at the Krannert Executive Forum in Krannert Auditorium. The talks are open to the public, as space permits, and free of charge.
Writer: John Hughey, 765-494-2432, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Lou Underwood, 765-494-0901, email@example.com