Regional dairy meetings offer calf management, industry advice
February 1, 2013
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Indiana dairy farmers and industry professionals have opportunities to learn about important herd-management topics at six regional dairy meetings in February and March.
The Purdue Extension Dairy Team and the Indiana Dairy Producers, in partnership with the Indiana Forage Council, are sponsoring the meetings.
Purdue Extension dairy specialist Tamilee Nennich said the meetings will give dairy farmers will be able to learn about topics that are important to their farms, such as calf management, spring forage management, financial and business planning, addressing dairy farm legal issues and avoiding antibiotic residues.
"Calf management is a topic that is essential to dairy operations to make sure that they are prepared for the future," Nennich said. "Calves are the future of dairy operations, so it is important to make sure they get off to a great start."
The state's new fertilizer-use rule from the Office of the Indiana State Chemist also will be discussed, along with dairy policy updates and an industry outlook.
Meeting details and registration contact numbers are:
* Feb. 12: Byron Seeds, 775 N. 350 E., Rockville. Contact: 317-695-8228.
* Feb. 13: The Log Inn, 12653 S. 200 E., Warrenton. Contact: 812-867-3216.
* Feb. 14: Bartholomew County 4-H Fairgrounds, Family Arts Building, 750 W. 200 S., Columbus. Contact: 812-379-1665.
* March 4: Farmstead Inn, 370 S. Van Buren St., Shipshewana. Contact: 260-768-4595.
* March 5: Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds, Community Center, 17746 E. County Road 34, Goshen. Contact: 574-533-0554.
* March 6: Back 40 Junction Restaurant, 1011 N. 13th St., Decatur. Contact: 260-724-3355.
The meetings are free, but advance registration is required. The deadline to register for the Rockville, Warrenton and Columbus meetings is Thursday (Feb. 7), and for Shipshewana, Goshen and Decatur the deadline is Feb. 28.
Writer: Amanda Gee, 765-494-8402, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Tamilee Nennich, 765-494-4823, email@example.com