January 29, 2021
Human Resources announces partnership with Care.com to support employees’ diverse care needs
Many members of the Purdue community are familiar with caregiving needs – unexpected sick days, school holidays, surgery of a parent, a caregiver quits, children needing extra academic help and the list goes on. In an effort to assist faculty and staff with needs such as these, Human Resources introduces an added benefit to support the diverse care needs of Purdue’s employees – Care.com.
According to Purdue University Senate’s “The State of Caregiving, Wave 4 Survey Fact Sheet”:
- 8% of Purdue employees report caregiving responsibilities.
- 8% report needing backup care at times.
- 70% feel overwhelmed by caregiving responsibilities.
“We want to make it easier for Purdue employees to find the care they need – whether it’s for a child, a parent or even a pet,” says Candace Shaffer, senior director of benefits in Human Resources. “In support of the work-life integration pillar of the Healthy Boiler Program, we’re partnering with Care.com to support the diverse family care needs of our employees.”
Care.com is the largest online community for short- and long-term care for children, seniors, pets and more. In addition to the Care@Work network of vetted professional caregivers, Care.com has several online tools and resources to help employees navigate their caregiving needs.
The partnership with Care.com provides Purdue employees a free Care.com membership, discounted child and adult backup care, and tuition discount.
Care.com membership allows employees to:
- Search caregivers in any ZIP code for child, senior and pet care, tutoring, housekeeping and more.
- Connect with a network of individual and corporate care providers.
- Find ongoing, occasional and backup care providers based on profiles, reviews and ratings.
- Post jobs to find caregivers.
Backup care is available for times when regular care arrangements for dependent children and adults aren’t available. Backup care options include:
- In-home backup child care –10 days per year; in-home copay of $8 per hour.
- Out-of-home backup child care – 10 days per year at a child care or family child care center, made on a space available basis; copay of $15 per day.
- In-home backup adult care – 10 days per year for nonmedical services, including companionship, meal prep, light housekeeping, medication prompting, transportation to doctor’s appointments and assistance with daily activities; copay of $8 per hour.
Register at purdue.care.com to access your benefits. Download the Care@Work mobile app (available on Google Play and the App Store) to request backup care.
- Visit Purdue’s “It’s easy to find the care you need!” webpage for additional details.
- Review information at com/safety to learn more about Care.com’s safety measures.