April 13, 2018
Recipients named for 2018 Awards for Excellence in Digital Education
Digital Education and the Office of the Provost have announced the recipients of the 2018 Awards for Excellence in Digital Education.
The awards are intended to recognize professional accomplishment and to promote creative and effective approaches to learning delivered via digital education media. The awards are accompanied by a certificate and a $2,500 cash payment.
The 2018 recipients are:
* Mark Mabrito, associate professor of English, Purdue University Northwest, received the Excellence in Digital Education: Course Design and Teaching (Credit) award for his Online Certificate in Writing for Interactive Media.
* Bruce Erickson, agronomy education distance and outreach director and adjunct assistant professor, West Lafayette; Debbie Runshe, instructional designer, Course Design and Development group of IT Teaching and Learning Technologies, West Lafayette; and Janine Black, Agronomy e-Learning project manager, West Lafayette, received the Excellence in Digital Education: Course Design and Teaching (Non-Credit) award for Agronomy e-Learning's Crop Professional Certificate Program.
* Emily Hixon, director of the Center for Faculty Development and Leadership and professor of education, Purdue University Northwest; Casimir Barczyk, professor emeritus of human resource management, Purdue University Northwest; Janet Buckenmeyer, dean of the Bayh College of Education, Indiana State University; and Penny Ralston-Berg, senior research instructional designer at Penn State World Campus, received the Excellence in Digital Education: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning award for research on online course quality.
* William Watson, associate professor of curriculum and instruction, West Lafayette, and Holly Fiock, instructional designer in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, West Lafayette, received the Excellence in Digital Education: Innovative Course Design and Use of Technology award for the Learning Design and Technology Seminar.
* Vincent Hornbach, video production specialist with Digital Education, West Lafayette, received the Excellence in Digital Education MVP: Instructional Design and Support award for SPAN 594, SPAN 330, and a MOOC (massive open online course) on Spanish film.
Faculty recipients of Excellence in Digital Education awards will be honored at the provost’s Faculty Awards Convocation on May 8. Staff recipients will be recognized at a Digital Education gathering on May 3. A list of past recipients of the Excellence in Digital Education awards is available at https://www.distance.purdue.edu/awards/index.html.