May 10, 2018

Human Resources reminds employees of worker’s compensation best practices

Even with the best practices and policies in place, work-related injuries and/or illnesses can occur. Human Resources is reminding employees of the necessary steps to take when an employee experiences injury or illness due to a work-related situation.

The first step is to inform the supervisor immediately, even if the employee does not require immediate medical care.

Next, the supervisor is required to complete the First Report of Injury (FROI) form as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours after being notified of the employee’s workplace illness or injury. The First Report of Injury form as well as the Worker’s Compensation Witness Report Form are located on the Radiological and Environmental Management website

Purdue employees who are injured while carrying out assigned duties on University property or while traveling on University business may be eligible for coverage under the Worker's Compensation and the Occupational Diseases acts of Indiana, which were passed to relieve the hardship caused by occupational injury and disease. Worker's compensation provides benefits to employees who experience accidental injury or illness "arising out of" and "in the course of" employment. All employees paid through Purdue payroll -- faculty, staff, administrative, full-time, part-time, exempt, non-exempt, fellows and  student employees -- are covered by worker’s compensation benefits. JWF Specialty is the company that manages Purdue's worker's compensation program and is responsible for verifying if the employee’s injury is eligible for benefits under the act.

Employees who require medical treatment for a work-related injury or illness need to make sure they seek treatment at an approved treatment facility. The employee’s supervisor will confirm that the employee has transportation to the appropriate medical facility on the day of injury. 

Detailed information on all aspects of worker’s compensation -- including filing a claim, obtaining medical treatment, payment for medical care and time lost and more -- can be found on Purdue's Worker’s Compensation webpage. Worker’s Compensation Frequently Asked Questions also are available.

Human Resources can be contacted at 765-494-2222, or via HR Help for questions. For assistance with specific claims issues, contact Cindy Guy, worker’s compensation and return-to-work administrator in Human Resources at or 765-494-7388.

Faculty-Staff News

More News

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015-18 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Strategic Communications

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact News Service at